Division: Biological Assessment
State/Province: Texas [TX]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Research Associate 1
Job ID: 3412
- The purpose of the Research Associate is to assist project leads in delivering on project goals by providing technical assistance, as well as to support site management with the functional activities of a research station.
- Functioning as an integral member of a Trialing team responsible for packaging, planting, cultivating, stand counting and harvesting yield trials, breeding nurseries, isolation topcrosses and forage trials.
- Supporting efforts to maintain Seed Stewardship principles of inventory, and performing tasks that include: packaging, field trial layout and organization, pollinating, seed conditioning, and data collection.
- Performing all tasks and behaving in a manner compliant with and in support of all safety related company policies and practices, including completing all required Company training courses and attending local safety meetings.
- Oversee tasks completed by third-party labor to ensure accurate results.
- Effectively communicating regularly and with peers and supervisors regarding the status of projects and work activities.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Critical knowledge: :
- BS/BA degree in an agricultural related field or an AS with a minimum of 4 years of comparable agricultural work experience.
- Experience in operating agricultural machinery, and or agricultural research equipment.
Agricultural research experience or agricultural background preferred.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Ability to use MS Office, especially Word and Excel, and other standard office software.
- Ability to learn and use proprietary breeding management software systems (SPIRIT).
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a team and to communicate with individuals throughout the organization.
- Ability and motivation to learn new technologies.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and have ability to acquire and maintain a CDL and/ or a pesticide applicators license.
- Ability to learn and perform maintenance; and operate farm machinery and field research equipment, seed laboratory equipment including: seed conditioning machines, seed counters, tractors, planters, combines, and other tools necessary for agricultural research projects.
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Excellent communicator and team player
- Able to develop innovative solutions to complex problems
- Commitment to success
- Willingness and ability to focus on parallel tasks to completion
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Flexibility and resourcefulness in a fast paced work environment.
- Possession of work ethic that strives for excellence in, productivity, accuracy, timeliness, and innovativeness.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Capable of working in high or low temperature conditions in field or greenhouse. Capable of lifting up to 50 pounds. Capable of working long hours during time-critical periods of the research cycle.
- WORKING CONDITIONS WHILE PERFORMING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Field, greenhouse, laboratory, office. Domestic travel required with occasional overnight stays.
- Potential allergens/pollen, fungal spores, chemical pesticides in the field or greenhouse.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
Plagues of locusts, weevils, or any other kind of crop-destroying bugs were no match for Syngenta Crop Protection. The subsidiary of...