Division: Biological Assessment
State/Province: Minnesota [MN]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Research Associate 2 or 3
Job ID: 4601
Syngenta is one of the world’s leading companies with 27,000 employees in over 90 countries dedicated to one purpose: bringing plant potential to life. We contribute to addressing some of the planet’s most critical issues such as the rising demand for food from a growing population.
Working for Syngenta offers you the opportunity to play a part in addressing one of the most urgent challenges facing global agriculture today where we need to feed 200,000 more people every day.*
Come be part of our good growth plan: one planet, six commitments:
Make crops more efficient, rescue more farmland and help biodiversity flourish; empower smallholders, help people stay safe and look after each worker. * Our work matters.
There has never been a better time to join Syngenta!
Role purpose :
Overall purpose of this Research Associate is to provide strategic and tactical support for product development projects in the crop of field corn; with a focus on projects initiated by the field corn Breeding Project Lead (BPL), and Germplasm Project Team Lead (GPTL), as well as, Product Evaluation (PE) product development groups. The main activities of this role relate to the processes, operations, of crop improvement projects in the field, and laboratory. Duties must strictly follow HSE and Seed Stewardship practices; this role must help provide quality data to assist Project Leads in delivering project goals, as well as, supporting Trialing and site function activities.
- Must function as a vital Trialing team member in conducting field activities including: seed packaging, planting, data collection, plant sampling, pollination, and harvest of research trials. May also be involved in other crop activities within function as necessary.
- Will need to provide assistance in experiment trial organization, and design including: field selection, trial mapping, electronic file and material creation.
- Be able to manage several tasks at the same time to reach a goal of planting and shipping nursery trials in a short window.
- Organize and give directions to fulltime and seasonal staff.
- Coordinate and work with other groups at the location to complete common goals
- Knowledgeable to assist with data analysis and use of DQC.
- Prepare and monitor the trialing groups’ stewardship compliance.
- Follow all USDA and EPA compliance regulations and Syngenta Seed Stewardship guidelines. Oversee tasks completed by 3rd party labor to ensure accurate results.
- Participate with project owners, Trialing Manager, and team staff members in development of best management practices.
- Effective communication regularly with peers, and supervisors regarding the status of projects and work activities.
- Performing all tasks and behaving in a manner compliant with and, in support of all safety related company policies and practices; by completing all required company training courses and attending local safety and stewardship meetings & training.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Critical knowledge: :
- BS degree or equivalent years of experience advanced skills similar to a BS degree
- Demonstrated ability in field research process management.
- An interest of plant biology, genetics, and experimental design.
- Knowledge in general agriculture practices and technologies is preferred.
Critical experience :
- Experience in operation of specialized equipment used in conducting laboratory and field research activities.
- Agricultural research experience or agricultural background preferred.
- Organization and management of people and projects is critical
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities :
- Ability to use MS office, especially Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and other standard software.
- Ability and willingness to learn and use proprietary systems (SPIRIT) for trial management, and seed inventory management.
- Motivated to learn new plant breeding technologies, and processes,
- Ability to summarize, and clearly communicate information
- Possession of a strong work ethic that strives for excellence, timeliness, and efficiency.
- Ability to travel to off- station testing locations, project meetings and winter nursery locations.
Critical leadership capabilities :
- Good communication skills.
- Able to organize inventory both physically and electronically
- Willing to step beyond comfort zone.
- Contributes to a culture of creativity and innovation.
- Manages performance to high standard.
- Can help resolve conflict appropriately according to company guidelines.
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Have an ability to be flexible, resourceful, innovative, and a willingness to learn.
- Strong work ethic that strives for excellence, productivity, accuracy, and efficiency.
- Can be a team member with willingness to conduct work in respectful manner.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Seasonal travel to off-station testing locations, project meetings, and winter nursery locations.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
Syngenta - 12 months ago
Plagues of locusts, weevils, or any other kind of crop-destroying bugs were no match for Syngenta Crop Protection. The subsidiary of...