This position is part-time -21 hours per week, and is limited to 12/28/2013 with extension contingent on funding.
Manage the daily operation of a plant pathology (turf) research and diagnostic laboratory and accompanying plant pathology and biology greenhouses. Undertake field and greenhouse-based research on the management and control of a wide variety of plant pathogens on turf and ornamentals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Manage a plant pathology (turf) diagnostic lab including: diagnosis, pathogen isolation and culturing, species identification, fungicide resistance assays, pathogenicity assays and physiological characterization of plant pathogenic fungi and bacteria.
Undertake plant-pathogenic nematode extractions, species identification and culture maintenance.
Perform identification of microbial and plant species using molecular techniques, including DNA sequence information and AFLP's.
Undertake field and greenhouse-based research on the management and control of a wide variety of plant pathogens on turf and ornamentals.
LICENSES, TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
Personal computers, printers; Microsoft Office (all components), Lasergene, GenBank, SPSS and SAS.
ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES.
1) Master's degree in Environmental Sciences/Plant Sciences or related field,
with prior graduate school research work experience; OR a bachelor's degree in the same with five years of experience in a plant pathology laboratory.
2) Demonstrated knowledge of fungicide use for control of plant pathogens on turf, mode of action, and resistance management plan development.
3) Demonstrated extensive familiarity with a wide array of native and exotic plant species, and the ability to manage, propagate and diagnose plant disease on a substantial collection of greenhouse-grown plant specimens.
4) Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office (all components), Lasergene, GenBank, SPSS and SAS.
5) Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
6) Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills.
7) Demonstrated ability to organize, coordinate and supervise support staff.
This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions, but will require the handling of fungicidal pesticides and a wide array of different fungal specimens.