With the Director of Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) Research, the Research Associate will assist in all day to day operations of major research center grants, including but not limited to training and oversight of Research Assistants and Students, data collection, data management, analysis and dissemination of research findings. The Research Associate will support the organizational and research needs of the MedStar NRH research leadership.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists in and takes a leadership role with the Principal Investigator on coordinating individual research projects.
2. Provides oversight direction to entry level Research Assistants and Students on selected research activities.
3. Works closely with the Research Division administrative staff to conduct periodic financial surveillance of large multi-project research center grants and provides reports to the Director of SCI Research.
4. Conducts literature reviews and electronic searches on Internet and on OVID; presents and conducts synthesis of literature.
5. Assists in preparation of reports to funding organizations, presentations to Advisory Committees, research protocols, subject interview guides; and arranges focus group meetings and logistics.
6. Prepares bibliographies and documents in format required for submission to peer-reviewed journals.
7. Serves as primary author on national presentations (oral and poster).
8. Serves as proposal manager to assemble grant and contract proposals accurately and on-time, including drafting informed consent and IRB packages.
9. Prepares complex mailings to field longitudinal and cross-sectional surveys, and to disseminate research products.
10. Participates as a member of Project Teams through collection, data entry, and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data, including qualitative, highly personal interviews on sensitive subjects.
11. Assists with subject recruitment and retention, including scheduling of interviews.
12. Attends external meetings and reports back to the MedStar NRH SCI Research Director.
13. Participates in investigator meetings, site visits, and conference. Under direction, prepares name badges, agendas, sends meeting reminders, takes meeting minutes, identifies follow-up actions, tracks completion of “to do” actions by various researchers.
14. Maintains required records of study activity including case report forms, regulatory documents and databases.
15. Complies with MedStar Health Research Institute and MedStar NRH policies and procedures.
16. Assists the Director of SCI Research, in the MedStar NRH Research Division, on IRB submissions and MedStar NRH Research Review Committee activities.
17. Organizes and leads scientific conferences and other educational activities such as lectures b external speakers.
18. Consistently demonstrates support for compliance in the performance of job duties and responsibilities by a) developing and maintaining knowledge of, and performing job functions in compliance with, rules, regulations, policies, and statutes that affect his/her job; b) maintaining knowledge of and performing job functions in compliance with MedStar Health and MedStar Health Research Institute policies and procedures; and c) reporting compliance concerns in an appropriate and timely manner.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Minimum bachelor’s degree in social science, public health, health administration, or related fields.
Experience: Minimum one year experience performing data entry, data analyses or data management duties. Knowledge and use of spreadsheet applications, and statistical and presentation software. Strong verbal and written skills.