The Research Associate (RA) will join a laboratory that is responsible for identifying and characterizing a wide variety of transgenic crop plants at the nucleic acid level. The RA is responsible for characterizing genetically engineered plants using predominantly Real-Time PCR by both quantitative and qualitative methodologies. The RA will validate PCR diagnostic tests and utilize them in the high throughput-testing environment of the Nucleic Acid Analysis (NAA) lab. Other duties will require interaction with other members of the NAA team, contribute to the on-going maintenance of lab activities and evaluate and implement methodologies to enhance our capabilities. |
• Experience with Taqman assay and PCR assay design.
• Validate PCR assays in response to needs of Pioneer Scientists supported by the NAA lab.
• Process samples and extract genomic DNA from transgenic and non-transgenic plants following established Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
• Perform PCR analysis on designated DNA samples following established SOPs.
• Interpret analytical results and report findings to internal clients/colleagues.
• Assist with the evaluation of new detection methodologies and analytical techniques.
• Maintain lab function by ordering new and replacement chemicals, equipment and reagents as required.
• Follow, support and contribute to work procedures and schedules in support of lab physical organization and neatness.
• Decide if QA/QC standards are valid on analytical tests that are performed.
• Decide on priority of samples and organize workload appropriately so business critical deadlines are met.
Education and Experience
Bachelors degree in Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Plant Biology, Genetics or similar area with 0-2 years of relevant experience required. Equivalent amounts of relevant education and experience will be considered.
• Experience performing PCR and Real-Time PCR assays is essential
• Familiarity with handling and processing of samples in high throughput environment. Familiarity with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) is highly desired.
• Experience with lab robotic systems.
• Highly skilled with basic computer software (MS Office).
• Manage workload: Balance importance of job duties with time and effort required. Insure that qulity results are returned to Pioneer colleagues in a timely fashion.
• Work effectively as part of a team for maximum long-term productivity.
• Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills are imperative.
Pioneer - 22 months ago
Forget T-bills and mutual funds. Pioneer Hi-Bred International, a subsidiary of chemical giant DuPont, boasts the best yields. One of the...