At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. We are currently seeking Research Associates / Sr. Research Associates to join our fast-growing, dynamic and collaborative team in La Jolla, CA.
Successful candidates will develop and implement mammalian synthetic biology and genome engineering technologies in a cross-disciplinary R&D team collaborating with industrial and academic partners.
- Assists conducting basic laboratory experiments applying defined protocols and procedures; generates reproducible and reliable results.
- Compiles records and maintains data on results of analysis and communicates results to supervisor.
- Clearly documents and maintains laboratory notebooks and computer files.
- Prepares and analyzes biological samples for laboratory procedures.
- Prepares reagents and chemical solutions.
- May support work of scientists for publication/ patent.
- Participates and contributes in group and project meeting as required.
- As required by supervisor, searches, reads and comprehends relevant scientific literature.
- Exercises judgment within defined practices and procedures; guided decision making.
- May share and contribute ideas within and outside the group.
- Designs and conducts complex laboratory experiments, generates reproducible and reliable results.
- Conducts advanced information analysis.
- Presents and conveys complex problems or issues across functional areas.
- Provides a recognized company-wide technical or analytical resource with responsibility for determining methods and approaches.
- Under general direction of Scientist, has overall project responsibility for a research program of limited scope, including experimental design and communicating with other team members.
- Responsible for the maintenance and improvement of an area of technical expertise or methodology.
- Interacts with other Research Staff in other research departments to accomplish project goals.
- Presents or reports results of independent scientific research with peers at internal scientific meetings. May present or report at external meetings.
- May have responsibility for mentoring or supervising lower level personnel.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Genetics, Immunology or related discipline.
- Demonstrated hands-on technical experience and proficiency.
- 2-6 years of biotechnology or pharmaceutical industrial experience.
- Hands on experience with mammalian cell culture, cell cloning and expansion, gene transfer and transfection, molecular analysis and cell-based assays.
- Experience with genome/cell engineering using advanced precision genome editing tools and/or synthetic biology approaches highly desired.
- Demonstrated experience conducting collaborative and/or cross disciplinary research strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new techniques, execute experimental plans and prepare research data to meet program goals essential.
- Experience and demonstrated excellence at the bench conducting research and development in a team and structured program environment.
- Foundational academic and/or applied R&D experience utilizing bioinformatics and/or molecular genetics for cell engineering.
- Demonstrated productivity and ability to advance complex programs.
- Excellent technical decision-making and trouble shooting skills.
- Document research in laboratory notebooks in accordance with company policies.
- Analyze and present data in written and oral reports as required.
- Work in accordance with health and safety guidelines.
- Consistently demonstrate initiative for timely completion of projects and tasks.
- Ability to utilize pertinent scientific literature.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
Synthetic Genomics, Inc., a privately held company founded in 2005, is dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions...