The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is an independent, non-partisan, nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, technical assistance, and demonstration projects to assist leaders in government and civil society, examine justice policy and practice, and improve the systems people rely on for justice and safety. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, and New Orleans, and its projects and reform initiatives, typically conducted in partnership with local, state, or national officials, are located across the United States and around the world. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace. |
Vera ’s Center on Victimization and Safety works to ensure that un-served and under-served victims of crime have equal access to victim services and criminal justice supports by fostering collaboration and building organizational capacity among victim service providers, population and/or culturally specific service providers and the criminal justice system. To that end, CVS combines research and technical assistance to assist policymakers and practitioners to close gaps and ensure that all survivors have access to the services and supports they need and want. Vera currently seeks a Research Associate for the Center on Victimization and Safety. This associate will play a key role in three studies, including quantitative research on case outcomes for sexual assault survivors with disabilities in a criminal court sample, developing performance indicators for agencies serving victims with disabilities, and evaluating an intervention for LGBTQ victims of violence.
Quantitative Data Management and Analysis
- Develop content and protocols for interviews and surveys, with supervision;
- Conduct interviews and surveys;
- Develop instruments to collect data from hard-copy administrative case files and other data sources;
- Write near-final critical literature reviews, narrative sections of grant proposals, and research reports, as well as guides and brief reports for non-research audiences;
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations;
- Act as a point person for sites and multiple project tasks;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Use statistical analysis software (e.g., SPSS) to clean and merge longitudinal administrative data files with complex file structures, with minimal supervision;
- Run and interpret basic descriptive and bivariate analysis and associated significance tests;
- Run and interpret OLS and Logistic regression, with supervision;
- Prepare data files and write codebooks for archiving, with supervision.
Applicants must have an M.A. in sociology, criminal justice, criminology, public policy, or a closely related discipline and 4+ years of fulltime work experience or a Ph.D. with 1+ year of fulltime work experience and have strong social science research methods and writing skills. Requirements include:
- Expertise transferring data files into SPSS from other file formats;
- Experience using SPSS, including writing syntax to evaluate the quality of and clean complex data files;
- Experience restructuring and merging differently structured files, e.g. combining cross-sectional and longitudinal data;
- Ability to translate data findings into tables and charts;
- Excellent research and narrative writing skills a must.
- Experience working in applied research settings, criminal justice and victim services settings, and developing performance indicators for service agencies a plus.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Please submit a cover letter, comprehensive resume and two sole or first author writing samples.
Online submission is preferred.
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed to
Human Resources: ATTN Research Associate / CVS Recruitment
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10279
Please use only one method (online or mail) of submission.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Vera Institute of Justice - 22 months ago