IPA seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Research Development Manager to work on project development and fundraising activities for a one-year period. The position will support both research project development and fundraising based on the West Coast, and will be roughly split between the two activities.
Research Project Development
The manager will work with Professors Karlan and Zinman on project development activities for research projects that involve strong technological aspects. The focus of these projects will include developing innovations in product offerings, pricing, and messaging to improve outcomes in various domains and markets, including household finance, health, and education.
The position may offer an opportunity to manage the implementation of research projects after they are developed.
Duties are likely to include:
- Seeking out and following up on conversations with potential donors to the research projects;
- Meeting with bay area research partners and potential donors to plan and design projects, working very closely with the lead researchers;
- Preparing budgets, staffing plans, and funding proposals for US-based research projects;
- Managing communication between researchers, donors, and partners;
- Research staff management once projects are funded and underway; and
- Working closely with IPA initiatives and support teams to provide sound project oversight and grant management
The other half of the position will involve fundraising activities on the West Coast as a member of the IPA Global Outreach team. Fundraising efforts will target unrestricted grants to IPA that support the implementation of IPA’s strategic plan, policy outreach and core operations.
Duties are likely to include:
- Event planning for a wide variety of fundraising events and gatherings
- Donor follow-up in close collaboration with the Global Outreach Director and Executive Director
- Developing outreach and communication materials for existing and potential donors
- Supporting Global Outreach external communications, contact management, and fundraising campaigns
- A Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, public administration, public policy, or related field;
- 5 years minimum experience in economics or social science research, with a background in randomized control trials;
- Experience initiating development of new research/projects that use technology as a medium for product/service delivery; Experience organizing fundraising events to identify new prospective donors;
- Good understanding of the funding landscape and experience raising resources from a variety of sources;
- Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate, and close deals with new individual donors;
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations and donors;
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to represent IPA in public forums and experience in presenting results and pitching research ideas to partners, donors, and policymakers;
- Prior experience with IPA or our research partners is a plus; and
- Excellent management and organizational skills; exceptional attention to detail; flexibility; self-motivation; and an ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently.
1) Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org , following these instructions exactly:
Please do not include any text besides your name in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
- In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line: 101038IPAUSA, Research Development Manager
- In the email body: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name
- Attachments: Please attach ONLY your cover letter and resume
2. Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application . Please select the position(s) you are interested in applying for on the 'Submit Application' page. Include two letters of recommendation and transcripts. We will consider your application even if you are unable to obtain reference letters before the deadline, but please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
3. Fill out our EEO-1 Voluntary Self Identification Form .
IPA is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer.
All persons shall have the opportunity to be considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at email@example.com .
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the Research Development Manager . The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org .