Anticipated hiring salary: $2,500 to $2,916 per month
The Research Fellow classification provides individuals who have completed the requirements of a terminal academic degree program (or all the requirements except the dissertation) with an opportunity to work on a research project of study for the CSU. Appointments to this classification are temporary in nature and of limited duration.
Working within the Department of Chemistry at CSU Fresno under the mentorship of a principle investigator, in this case, Dr. Qiao-Hong Chen, the Research Fellow will perform a variety of work in support of an ongoing research project on potential chemotherapeutic agents to overcome multidrug resistance (MDR) in cancer.
The position entails working under the general supervision of a principle investigator on a variety of research projects that deal with potential chemotherapeutic agents to overcome multidrug resistance (MDR) in cancer.
Duties assigned to the Research Fellow include the following :
• perform all aspects of research and development in the area of assignment
• plan, propose, and conduct agreed upon research projects requiring independent evaluation, selection, and use or adaptation/modification of standard techniques and procedures
• devise new approaches to problems
• perform both conventional and modern techniques.
• Apply the principles of the field
• Conduct standard research projects
• Record data and recognize inconsistencies or problems
• Supervise/train graduate and undergraduate students
• Prepare professional presentations, professional reports, and publications
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
• Knowledge of the area of study and a working knowledge of principles and practices of synthetic organic chemistry
• Knowledge of the principles of the field
• Knowledge of the methods, materials, procedures, and techniques used in research and experimentation
• Ability to prepare written reports of procedures
• Ability to participate in the evaluation and analysis of existing techniques and procedures
• Ability to observe, analyze, and report objectively the results of research experimentation
• Ability to supervise/train graduate and undergraduate students
• Ability to communicate effectively in writing and professional presentations
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of personnel in the organization
Education and Experience:
To enter this classification, an individual normally must have completed the requirements of a Ph.D. degree program from an accredited institution of higher education or the equivalent.
The work will involve the synthesis of anticancer drug-like analogs of zampanolide and other tubulin-binding macrolides and will require:
• designing multi-step syntheses, asymmetric syntheses, and carrying out reactions under anhydrous conditions
• Purification of products by conventional techniques (such as column chromatography
• Identification of products by traditional techniques, including various 1-D and 2-D NMR techniques; & iv) interpretation of biological data
• Experience in the synthesis of natural products
Applications received by March 3, 2013 will be reviewed for minimum qualifications and given full consideration by the hiring manager and/or search committee. Qualified applicants received after that date will be forwarded upon request to the hiring manager and/or search committee.
An online application, a resume, and three professional references, including telephone numbers, are required. A cover letter that addresses your qualifications for the position is also required. Full consideration will not be given to applicants who fail to complete all application requirements.
Pursuant to Executive Order 883, reasonable accommodation is to be provided upon request from an employee or applicant with disabilities, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the campus. What constitutes a reasonable accommodation is to be determined by the campus on a case-by-case basis after it has received the individual's request for accommodation and engaged in an interactive process. Employees or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation should contact Human Resources directly at (559) 278-2032.
How To Apply:
To apply for this or any open position at Fresno State visit our online employment site at: http://jobs.fresnostate.edu/
The California State University offers unlimited opportunities to help students fulfill their personal and professional goals.
At our 23...