We are seeking a highly motivated, creative and innovative bench scientist, with a proven track record in the area of airway biology, to join our discovery biology research group at Vertex Pharmaceuticals. The successful candidate will have demonstrated scientific expertise in the characterization of airway remodeling in response to insult and disease. Experience in in vitro/ ex vivo modeling of lung physiology and the use of lung stem/ progenitors cells is preferred.
- Independently designs, directs and executes key in vitro/ ex vivo studies to understand disease biology, elucidate mechanism of action at the molecular and cellular level, and support respiratory discovery projects.
- Critically analyzes and interprets data, and effectively documents and communicates results to diverse audiences.
- Provides strong scientific and technical leadership, utilizing extensive technical expertise across a wide range of in vitro and ex vivo assays.
- Demonstrates project leadership skills, including the ability to direct project-related activities, with a focus on the initiation and progression of early stage efforts.
- Works effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment, has excellent organizational and communication skills with a well-developed ability to multi-task and make critical decisions.
- Minimum 7+ years experience in drug discovery in a pharmaceutical/ biotechnology setting or in an academic organization
- Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Pharmacology, Physiology or a related field
- A broad working knowledge of molecular/cellular pharmacology and physiology, and a proven track record of providing innovative solutions to complex research
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
Vertex creates new possibilities in medicine. Our team discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapies so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. Vertex scientists and our collaborators are working on new medicines to cure or significantly advance the treatment of hepatitis C, cystic fibrosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other life-threatening diseases. Founded more than 20 years ago in Cambridge, MA, we now have ongoing worldwide research programs and sites in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada. Vertex has consistently been recognized as one of the industry's top workplaces by leading publications such as Science Magazine, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal, San Diego Business Journal and The Scientist. For more information and to view Vertex's press releases, please visit www.vrtx.com
- Experience in in vitro/ ex vivo modeling of lung physiology and the use of lung stem/ progenitors cells
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals - 19 months ago
Vertex Pharmaceuticals aims to cure patients with previously incurable diseases. The biotechnology company uses an integrated,...