This position can be located either at the Banner Alzheimer's Institute in Phoenix or The Sun Health Research Institute in Sun City.
Banner Health was selected as one of the Top Leadership Teams in Healthcare by Health Leaders Media, is one of the Top 100 Integrated Healthcare Networks in the nation according to SDI, and voted as one of the “ Best Places to Work ” in the Phoenix metro area by the Phoenix Business Journal. We encouraged you to read more information about Banner Health. We recommend the following options:
- Why Banner Health?
- Banner Health Benefits
- Banner Health Careers
This position provides financial management oversight for all research and applicable sponsored activities conducted at or under the auspices of the organization. Primary responsibilities of this position include financial support for research operational leaders including assistance in the development of annual research operating budgets; project financial analysis (prospective and retrospective), development and negotiation of research/sponsored project budgets; project budget management including billing and reimbursement and education and training on research finance policies and processes. This position also provides expertise in research billing compliance issues and functions as a liaison to the patient financial services department, providing direction and guidance on research patient accounts.
- Assembles, analyzes, and presents financial information as necessary in order to assist management in the development and administration of research activities across the organization. Within assigned service lines, leads the development of an overall research financial summary process that will support the strategic development of research activities across the organization.
- Analyzes financial terms, conditions and proposed budgets for all research sponsored projects and develops and negotiates those payment terms with sponsors to cover costs while adhering to fair market value; ensures final contracts reflect accurate budgets and are financially compliant.
- Employs various electronic and manual systems within to ensure the accurate tracking of research revenue and expenses as budgeted and provides timely financial reporting to interested parties: principal investigator, administration, and sponsoring agency.
- Develops and maintains an organized structure for identifying patients and research-related procedures in order to ensure appropriate patient billing procedures. Works collaboratively to resolve issues related to research billing and obtaining appropriate approvals and reimbursement from payers. When applicable, monitors research patient enrollment notifications to ensure Banner billing compliance by separating non-billable procedures from patient accounts.
- Completes a Cost and Coverage Analysis on applicable projects utilizing feedback from research operational leaders, protocol requirements and knowledge of research and government regulations to evaluate each new study and determine appropriate coverage and billing requirements. Serves as a knowledgeable consultant to assist other personnel on the determinations of what patient care items and services are considered standard of care.
- Serves as the research liaison for patient financial services (PFS) to assure accurate billing of diagnostic and procedural information on research patient accounts ensuring all charges billed to third party payers are appropriate and not reimbursed by the sponsor. Monitors research accounts on hold until coding is performed accurately and notifies PFS when accounts are ready for billing.
- Works collaboratively with other colleagues to develop and implement organizational policies to ensure proper research finance/accounting procedures; serves as a secondary institutional contact for oversight and coordination of research financial audits including A-133 federal audits; coordinates with senior leadership to provide data for annual negotiation of federal grant indirect cost rate; serves as liaison with financial administrators across the organization.
- Contributes to the development of education and training programs for operational leaders and staff as applicable to ensure consistency and overall compliance with research cost determinations and billing regulations; keeps abreast of current regulations, i.e., Medicare, Medicaid and other industry research regulations. Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Promotes collegiality between physician investigators, staff, facility administrators, and department heads by providing all customers of with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
- Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Business or Finance or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum of 4 years of experience in Health Care billing, reimbursement, and coding, or a minimum of 6 years overall financial experience; excellent organization, oral and written communication skills. Must maintain highly confidential data. Knowledge of Contract & Government Payor compliance and reporting requirements required. Excellent organization, oral and written communication skills required. Must maintain highly confidential data. PC and various other system application proficiencies required, including strong MS Excel skills.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred. Knowledge of CPT-4/HCPCS and UB92 codes are preferred. Prior experience in Research or similar setting managing federal grants/clinical trials.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Banner Health - 20 months ago