Deadline to apply: December 31, 2013
Start date and duration: Immediate Preferred, 2013, 2 years commitment
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA), is an international non-profit research organization. Based in New Haven, CT, with offices in Washington, D.C. and worldwide, IPA works with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches to solving development problems, to communicate “what works” in development and to scale up successful projects in a variety of fields, including health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
IPA seeks qualified applicants for the position of Research Manager for Data Analysis and Data Publication, based in New Haven, CT. As a part of the Research Methods and Training unit, IPA’s Data Repository Group provides technical assistance and support for data analysis and data publication on randomized control trials. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand data management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research.
The Research Manager will work closely with the Director of Research Methods and Training to:
IPA’s Research Methods and Training unit provides resources, support and oversight of IPA internal systems for high quality research.
- Manage and execute IPA’s effort to expand data analysis and data publication support, as well as digital data collection.
- Supervise a team of research associates on data analysis (econometric analysis and power calculations) and data publication as a part of IPA’s Data Repository
- Provide technical guidance on data analysis and data publication to IPA staff and IPA researchers
- Provide technical guidance on survey programming in Blaise and/or Open Data Kit
- Identification and sharing of innovative research tools and data analysis processes
- Initiate, develop and implement innovative training activities for data analysis in collaboration with IPA’s Research Methods and Training department and take a lead in sharing best practices among IPA staff
- Assist with recruitment of survey programmers and research associates as neededParticipate in IPA’s Research Methods and Training team discussions and work plan execution
- Work is close coordination with other members of the Research Methods and Training team
Training team includes:
- Cross-country coordination of research oversight and survey methods
- Advice and guidance for questionnaire design, Stata, data entry, computer assisted interviews, data management, data security, and other field research activities
- Sharing resources for survey design, data collection, data entry, data management and data analysis
- Leading the design of curricula and logistics for staff training
- Advanced degree in economics or related field requiring fluency in applied research, statistical methods and causal inference, or equivalent experience;
- Familiarity and comfort with econometrics and statistics;
- A minimum of 2 years prior relevant work experience and a track record of success managing large-scale field research studies in developing countries, or similar work experience with the responsibilities listed above;
- Strong quantitative skills and excellent knowledge of Stata required; Experience with digital data collection, programming and other technical knowledge a strong plus, especially with Blaise and Open Data Kit.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Fluency in English required;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity. Meticulously organized approach, attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture, ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments simultaneously with minimal supervision;
- Previous work experience with IPA and/or familiarity with randomized controlled trials strongly preferred;
- Solid team player who can operate independently, with a demonstrated ability to work with flexibility, efficiency, and diplomacy in a fast-paced environment.
Please follow the application instructions below. Any applications or CVs submitted outside this process will not be considered. Note, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
1. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com , following these instructions exactly:
Please do not include any text besides your name in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
- In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line: 100996IPAUSA, Research Manager
- In the email body: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name
- Attachments: Please attach ONLY your cover letter and resume
2. Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application . Please select the position(s) you are interested in applying for on the 'Submit Application' page. Include two letters of recommendation and transcripts. We will consider your application even if you are unable to obtain reference letters before the deadline, but please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
3. Fill out our EEO-1 Voluntary Self Identification Form .
IPA is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer.
All persons shall have the opportunity to be considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the Research Manager. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com .
Innovations for Poverty Action - 10 months ago
IPA is unique because of its approach to learning what works and what does not, the researchers who lead and manage projects, and our focus...