Novelis is the world leader in aluminum rolling, producing an estimated 19 percent of the world's flat-rolled aluminum products. We are the No. 1 rolled products producer in Europe and South America, and the No. 2 producer in both North America and Asia.
Novelis is also the world leader in the recycling of used aluminum beverage cans. Annually, we recycle around 40 billion used beverage cans - enough to circle the earth more than 100 times.
Novelis is globally positioned, operating in 11 countries with approximately 11,600 employees. The company reported revenue of $11.1 billion in its 2013 fiscal year.
We currently have an exciting and challenging opportunity for an experienced research metallurgist based at the Novelis Global Research and Technology Center in Kennesaw, Georgia. With world-class researchers and state-of-the-art facilities, the center plays a leading role in developing and helping to implement innovative technology in close co-operation with Novelis’ worldwide operations.
We currently have an exciting and challenging opportunity for a research metallurgist based at the Novelis Global Research and Technology Center in Kennesaw, Georgia. With world-class researchers and state-of-the-art facilities, the center plays a leading role in developing and helping to implement innovative technology in close co-operation with Novelis’ worldwide operations.
The research metallurgist will be a key member of project teams seeking to develop superior rolled aluminum products with enhanced combinations of performance, processing efficiency and recyclability. Working closely with colleagues in research and in manufacturing, the job-holder will strive to turn innovative science and technology into robust, working solutions. This will involve establishing and applying expertise on the impact of alloying and processing on microstructure and properties, and on product performance in customer operations and end-uses. With strong growth in the company’s automotive and transportation business, the development of products for vehicle body applications will be a particular focus of the role. There will be some opportunity to travel, to collaborate with colleagues in Novelis’ plants and regional technology centers around the globe, and to support customers. The role provides potential for growth towards technical and team leadership, and a real chance to play an important part in the future success of Novelis’ global businesses.
• PhD in metallurgy or materials science/engineering. Research areas of particular interest include physical metallurgy, especially of aluminum alloys, and the relationship of microstructure with processing and properties.
• Aluminum metallurgy research experience gained after PhD completion in an industrial R&D environment or working in close cooperation with industry would be an advantage, as would knowledge related to heat treatable aluminum alloys, particularly in rolled products used for automotive vehicles.
• Broad science and engineering background and ability to apply knowledge from multiple disciplines to solve problems.
• Desire for professional development and the potential for technical leadership in an R&D setting.
• Capability to thrive in a team environment and to engage and influence others.
• Good communication skills, both verbal and written, and a strong customer focus.
• International outlook and eagerness to travel to other Novelis or customer locations.
Research and Development
US-Georgia-1950 Vaughn Road Kennesaw, Georgia 30144
Novelis - 8 months ago