AIR Worldwide (AIR), a member of the Verisk Insurance Solutions group at Verisk Analytics, is the scientific leader and most respected provider of risk modeling software and consulting services. AIR founded the catastrophe modeling industry in 1987 and today models the risk from natural catastrophes and terrorism in 90 countries. AIR offers the opportunity to work with advanced technologies, global clients, and hundreds of the most innovative, talented minds in the industry.
Become a member of the AIR’s growing Research and Modeling department. Work closely with an energetic team of scientists, engineers, analysts, and statisticians conducting research and developing models used to estimate and manage the financial risk associated with catastrophes resulting from extreme weather events.
- Work with established reseach and modeling teams to assimilate emerging research related to storm surge processes and the modeling of storm surge phenomemena
- Develop models and modeling applications to help clients better understand how storm surge events impact risk to property
- Manage the collection and analysis a wide range of observational and numerical model data, and integrate the highest quality information into the modeling process
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong understanding of storm surge and storm surge models
- Solid technical programming skills gained through practical experience, in particular using languages and tools like FORTRAN, GIS, MATLAB, and R
- Proficiency in working in a Linux/Unix environment, including scripting in languages such as Shell, Bash, Tcl/Tk
- Ability to gather, integrate, and critically analyze data from all relevant sources of natural hazard information
- Familiarity with manipulating and visualizing large numerical data sets, as well as with statistical methods and interpretation
- Highly motivated and self-directed with demonstrated experience in advancing complex projects and working with interdisciplinary teams of scientists
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of catastrophe modeling and the insurance/reinsurance industry is a plus
Minimum M.S. degree (preferably Ph.D.) in Oceanology, Atmospheric Science, Meteorology, Environmental Science, or related discipline required
All insurance coverage is based upon calculated risk -- but who's doing the calculating? Insurance Services is one source for such...