Req ID 3901BR Department Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics Location Cambridge, MA Job Description
Our DMPK team has an immediate opening for a Research Scientist located in Cambridge , MA . The successful candidate should be experienced with modern bioanalytical methods for the quantitative and qualitative analysis of drugs and drug metabolites in complex biological samples. In addition, he/she must work closely with other scientists in a team oriented environment and ensure proper interpretation and usage of data. He/She will use state of the art analytical equipment to perform method development, troubleshooting, automation set-up and instrument maintenance. The successful candidate will also perform high throughput analysis of biological samples for both in vivo and in vitro ADME and drug metabolism studies utilizing stable label isotope and radiolabel incorporated drugs, across multiple drug discovery projects.
- Work closely with other scientists in a team oriented environment to coordinate studies and ensure proper interpretation and usage of data.
- Collate and interpret complex data systematically, and synthesize results into a cohesive body of conclusions or recommendations to guide Project decisions and new research and development activities.
- Analyze samples using LC/MS/MS from complex biological matrices
- Plan and organize elaborate, conceptually connected, multi-component experiments and coordinate with other scientists to execute designed experiments
- Collect and interpret MS and MS/MS data and design novel experiments based on experimental and theoretical data to solve problems or evaluate new applications.
- Perform instrument maintenance and troubleshooting to ensure downtime is minimized.
- Provide training and/or transfer methods to internal and external scientists & colleagues as necessary.
- Evaluate and implement new state-of-art and cutting edge technologies and techniques.
- Identify processes that can be streamlined, and make the necessary modification to increase throughput.
- Maintain a detailed, unambiguous record of work procedures and results.
- Write reports and scientific papers as needed. Minimum Qualifications
- Ph.D. with 0-3 years or MS and 3+ years or BS and 6+ years of Pharmaceutical industry experience developing, troubleshooting and executing quantitative and qualitative bioanalytical methods for small molecules.
- More specifically, the qualified candidate must be highly experienced with structure elucidation, and quantification of metabolites.
- Proficient with LC-MS/MS, NMR and other qualitative techniques especially as they pertain to very dilute biological samples.
- Strong record of method development, data interpretation and operation of LC-MS/MS systems (e.g., Applied Biosystems/Sciex, ThermoFinnigan and Waters systems).
- Willingness to tackle unexpected projects requiring new expertise and/or training is a must.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills, both written and oral, as well as problem solving skills
- Able to distill complicated multidimensional data to clear hypothesis and suggest new experimental directions
- Working knowledge of automated sample preparation systems.
VERTEX is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, religion, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
- Collection of NMR spectra from very small and dilute molecules from biological matrices .
- Familiarity with radiolabeling techniques for quantification of drugs and drug metabolite. Company Information Vertex creates new possibilities in medicine. Our team discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapies so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. Vertex scientists and our collaborators are working on new medicines to cure or significantly advance the treatment of hepatitis C, cystic fibrosis, epilepsy and other life-threatening diseases. Founded more than 20 years ago in Cambridge, MA, we now have ongoing worldwide research programs and sites in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada. Vertex has consistently been recognized as one of the industry's top workplaces by leading publications such as Science Magazine, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal, San Diego Business Journal and The Scientist, and most recently was named the top employer in Science magazine's 2011 annual survey. For more information and to view Vertex's press releases, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals - 19 months ago
Vertex Pharmaceuticals aims to cure patients with previously incurable diseases. The biotechnology company uses an integrated,...