OSI Pharmaceuticals, LLC became a member of the Astellas US group of companies in 2010 and is an oncology drug discovery and translational research organization primarily focused on the discovery of molecular targeted therapies (MTTs).
Our parent company, Astellas Pharma US helps us shine. Together we are the bright spot in the pharmaceutical industry -- not just because of what we do, but in the way we do it. If you are looking for a company where you can change a life, make a dream come true, and the light the way for a better tomorrow, this is the place for you.
We have the following position available at our Farmingdale, NY location:
Purpose & Scope:
Responsible for the design, development, and execution of scientific research in team environment. Develops substantial knowledge of the scientific literature and state-of-the-art principles, theories and technologies as it relates to a defined therapeutic area as a drug discovery process. Works independently and may have training and supervisory responsibilities. Maintains high degree of professional interaction with other members of a research team and/or core functional group.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
* Designs and executes own experiments independently, applying advanced knowledge of the most appropriate methodologies and techniques, including initiating most appropriate next experiments/procedures. Provides critical input in evaluating experimental design of associates and peers.
* Effectively and independently troubleshoots experiments or functional unit tasks and can develop several solutions to solve the problem.
* Acquires thorough knowledge base of the work in the overall scientific community in therapeutic area or major technology.
* Makes scientific contributions that have an impact on research projects. Provides technological guidance to project team, and presents at project team meetings.
* Balances several projects and/or responsibilities; manages time at the bench and completes tasks in timely manner.
* Maintains accountability for ensuring own goals, those of direct reports, and project or functional unit objectives are achieved.
* Writes procedures/protocols and professional/technical reports and may contributes to the writing of scientific articles, publications and patents.
* Maintains orderly and timely record of experimental data in accordance with company policy and legal requirements.
* Maintains safe working environment for self and others, maintains equipment and systems in good working order, implements new equipment, and maintains work area cleanliness.
Bench work/Functional area work or responsibility
Experimental design, interpretation, and analysis
Develops substantial knowledge of principles, concepts and methods of a professional or technical field
Management and Leadership
Ph.D. in relevant scientific discipline. Open to non-Ph.D.s who possess doctorate level ability plus a minimum of 10 years laboratory experience.
* Some postdoctoral or relevant industry experience
* Comprehensive understanding of one function and how it contributes to achieving the objectives of the business.
* Requires at least a good working knowledge of the industry(ies) in which the business operates.
* Learns to manage/coach employees using behavioral feedback and may have supervisory responsibilities.