California Institute of Technology
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Mitch Guttman, currently of the Broad Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts has an exciting opportunity with his lab. Professor Guttman will be transitioning to Caltech in the summer of 2013. Candidates must be willing to relocate to California at that time and their position with the Broad Institute will formally terminate. For more information visit: http://www.broadinstitute.org/careers/career-center
The Guttman group recently described a new class of mammalian large non-coding RNA genes with important roles in human biology and disease. These lincRNAs exert their regulatory influence on the genome in uncharacterized ways. We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join our integrative computational and experimental lab to help characterize the function and mechanism of this new class of non-coding RNA gene.
We are seeking a dependable and creative individual with scientific knowledge, technical expertise, and outstanding practical skills in biochemistry and molecular biology. The candidate will design and perform bench level experiments and develop new experimental protocols that support the overall research objective in a fast paced and dynamic environment. The candidate will advise members of the research team to ensure proper experimental design, analysis, and technical concerns related to the overall project and will train technical staff, graduate students, and post-doctoral fellows in lab methods as needed.
The Career Level and Salary determination will be based on the applicant's experience, skills and competencies as they relate to the requirements of this position. We have the ability to hire either:
Scientific Research, IC (BAL) / Assistant, salary grade 41 or
Scientific Research, IC (BAL) / Associate, salary grade 42
- Develops new experimental protocols that are essential to the overall project success.
- Provides direction and guidance to technical staff and directs experimental plans to ensure overall project success.
- Designs and carries out independent projects as well as basic bench level experiments and techniques.
- Responsible for training of technical staff, graduate students, and post-doctoral fellows as needed.
- Makes detailed observations, analyzes experimental data, and interprets results. Documents and compiles data.
- Summarizes key data verbally and in writing.
- Maintains a detailed plan to ensure successful and timely completion of required tasks.
- Analyzes experimental data and identifies methodological problems. Adjusts experimental protocols to ensure project completion in a timely fashion.
- Works with team leader to refine experimental protocols and thereby ensure project completion in a timely fashion.
- Writes and revises molecular biology/biochemistry protocols. Interacts directly with various scientists and other labs.
- Attends team meetings to share results, plan projects and experiments, provide advice, and to ensure that projects support current team goals in a dynamic environment.
- Consults with the scientific literature as needed.
- Other tasks as required.
- Bachelor's degree in biology or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Must possess at least 5 years of experience in a research laboratory.
- Excellent technical knowledge and hands-on experience with molecular biology methods and RNA and/or protein biochemistry techniques required.
- Excellent knowledge regarding the operation of standard lab equipment required.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff, students, and fellows and with external contacts required.
- Excellent organization, time management, and project management skills.
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously required.
- Must be able to use sound judgment to handle a variety of tasks and to shift priorities simultaneously, as well as to effectively solve problems.
- Ability to solve complex problems.
- Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff required.
- Strong organizational, time management, and project management skills required
- Creativity, curiosity, and the desire, persistence and ability to create technological advances required
- Must possess a high level of initiative and the ability to work with little supervision.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: jobs.caltech.edu
- PhD in biology or related field preferred.
- At least 2 years of supervisory and/or lab management experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with RNA or protein biochemistry techniques a plus.
- Experience with mouse embryonic stem cell culture techniques a plus.
- Prior lab management and/or lab training experience a plus.
Caltech is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.
Copyright ©2012 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
With an outstanding faculty, including four Nobel laureates, and such off-campus facilities as the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Palomar...