Cambridge - United States
Schlumberger-Doll Research, invites applications for a Research Associate or an experienced Research Scientist position based in Cambridge, MA USA. Appointments at both junior and senior levels will be considered.
The position is open within our Mathematics and Modeling (M&M) Department.
Fundamental and applied research projects are carried out in Schlumberger Doll Research (SDR) to develop new technologies for application in the oilfield. The Mathematics and Modeling Department is investigating the development and application of state of the art data science and reasoning frameworks to complex problems in the development of oilfields. The role of the scientist is to work in a team of scientists to develop and implement new applications of reasoning frameworks: Bayesian frameworks, belief frameworks, probabilistic graphical modeling and cognizant domains.
- The ideal candidate will combine theoretical expertise with the practical skills required in data science and in developing predictive and interpretation reasoning frameworks.
- As part of these tasks, the candidate will help elicit information from databases and experts across a wide range of sub-domains.
- The candidate will document findings and results in reports and communicate to peers, management, and to other Schlumberger R&E centers.
- A PhD in computer science or electrical engineering and artificial intelligence, or related field is required.
- A strong background in probability theory, decision theory, statistics, machine learning, reasoning and inference frameworks.
- Software development skills and familiarity with database, programming, and analysis platforms such as .NET (C#, F#), C++, Matlab, R, Python and SQL are preferable
- An enthusiasm for science and technology
- Ability to work within a team of scientists and engineers and strong oral and written communication skills.
Schlumberger has the know-how to get oil and gas drillers out of a slump. One of the world's largest oilfield services companies, it...