Research specialist assisting in the dry bean breeding/genetics program. Candidate is expected to participate in all the field, greenhouse, and laboratory activities involved in a breeding program. This includes the planning, organizing, and conducting of experiments under the supervision of the project leader. Tasks may include (but not limited to) seed and field preparation, planting and maintenance of field trials, and disease evaluations), recording, editing, and data analysis using statistical programs, collaborate with some activities in the DNA laboratory and the canning testing, and assisting the program leader in keeping, preparing, and compiling data and research results. The candidate is expected to interact and work as part of a team that includes other research specialists, students and interns, growers, plant breeders, and other scientists. Duties will involve all aspects of a breeding/genetics program so the candidate has a holistic approach and learns all the aspects involved in the functioning of a breeding program.
- Bachelors degree
- Good experience and knowledge of farming equipment (how to operate it safely, how to do routine maintenance, and minor repairs)
- Ability to work under adverse environmental conditions during the field growing season (spring, summer, fall)
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Computer literacy, especially in recording and statistically analyzing data
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work collaboratively as a member of a research team
- Excellent work ethic and desire to keep learning/improving
- Handling of some hazardous chemicals required
- Bachelors degree in agronomy, horticulture, or closely related field
- M.S. degree in plant breeding, genetics, plant sciences, agronomy, horticulture, or closely related field
- Experience in scientific research, preferably in legumes and/or common bean breeding, genetics and plant pathological techniques
- Greenhouse management experience
- Experience in canning/processing
- Laboratory experience mainly involving DNA extraction and molecular marker techniques
- Supervisory experience
Open Until Filled:
Internal/External Simultaneously: Open to all applicants
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please provide names, addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references. NOTE : Incomplete files will NOT be considered.
NDSU Main Campus, Fargo, ND
With a reputation for excellence in teaching and multidisciplinary research, North Dakota State University, Fargo, links academics to...