Provides professional research and technical support for diagnostic and research projects, studies and experimentation in support of University research projects |
Department URL Address:
Click here for more information
1. Participates in the planning, conceiving, designing and implementation of highly specialized state of the art instrumentation equipment and apparatus for a multi-faceted research project.
2. Solves engineering and design problems to ensure that equipment meets the objective of the study.
3. Develops reports and proposals for research project outlining machinery available, direction of the design, and development of new instrumentation.
4.Determines available resources such as electrical and mechanical components and equipment.
5. Develops cost and time estimates for specific equipment design. Ensures time and cost estimates are met.
6. Supervises and monitors work of professionals and solicits consulting work from outside labs.
7. Manages quality control of work performed on research projects.
8. Teaches research support theories and design.
9. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Biomedical Science or a related field and five years of related work in a research development facility or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated training in the theory and practice of X-ray crystallography, practical experience in performing structure determination, operating and maintaining instruments.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proven ability in other analytical techniques such as mass spectrometry and optical spectroscopy, including operating and maintaining these instruments and associated computers and software.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Knowledge of requirements for submission of X-ray crystal structures to scientific journals. Experience in preparation of scientific manuscripts.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Demonstrated ability in both X-ray crystallography and mass spectroscopy. Demonstrated ability with Linux systems administration, scientific programming, and web development.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Mechanical and electronic skills relevant to maintenance, repair and modification of scientific instruments. Computer skills for instrument operation and data analysis.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
PhD in Chemistry or related field. Good interpersonal and communication skills to facilitate working with faculty and students to assist them in determining molecular structures and operating instruments.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
What do former President George W. Bush and actress Meryl Streep have in common? They are Yalies. Yale University is one of the...