The Howard Hughes Medical Institute's Janelia Farm Research Campus (Janelia) has an opening for a Research Technician working in the Fly Facility. The candidate will perform a variety of highly skilled and precision functions in a dynamic and interactive environment. Duties include stock maintenance, genetic crosses and screens, fly sorting, and virgin collection. The candidate is expected to troubleshoot problems encountered, collect, verify, record, and compile data and information in support of research.
- Participate in the maintenance of the laboratory fly strain collection including setting up and transferring cultures, setting up stocks requested, assessing viability of cultures, rescuing stocks that are unhealthy, and assisting in operating robotic fly changer.
- Carry out assigned Drosophila genetic experiments including construction of genetic stocks and scoring of complex phenotypes, fly sorting and virgin collections. Attention to detail and accuracy are critical.
- Collect, record, organize and verify the accuracy of data. May use software applications to assemble, manipulate, format and/or perform statistical analyses of data.
- Analyze data, formulate conclusions and create appropriate statistical presentations, including graphs and charts, and prepare and present written or oral progress reports regarding studies.
- May demonstrate and explain various laboratory techniques to laboratory personnel and others.
- Actively contribute to laboratory meetings and planning sessions.
- Conduct literature reviews to assist in determining the most suitable methods to be used in research.
- Perform other essential duties as required.
- B.S. in Biology or appropriate field of science and two to four years of related research experience; or an advanced degree in an appropriate area of science and one or more years of related laboratory experience.
- Experience and thorough understanding of Drosophila genetics.
- Good color vision
- Ability to work independently with little direct supervision
HHMI offers an exceptional compensation and benefits package including health care coverage on your first day, contributions to a retirement fund, eleven paid holidays, and a generous paid time off program.
Please include a cover letter, three references and salary requirements with your resume. Include the job title and job number in the email subject line.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute - 30+ days ago
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute is dedicated to discovering and disseminating new knowledge in the basic life sciences. HHMI grounds its...