The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, a leading biomedical research organization, seeks a highly motivated Research Technician to join one of our laboratories at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine. The Research Technician will apply his/her skills in molecular and cellular biology toward understanding how gene expression is regulated in human cells.
- Collaborate with the Investigator in the design of experiments and the examination of proposals to determine the projects and methodologies best suited to the research objectives.
- Perform complex scientific procedures and operate complex scientific equipment.
- Perform experiments in molecular cloning, nucleic acid extraction and sequencing, RNA interference, quantitative PCR, chromatin immunoprecipitations and cell culture.
- Perform sterile techniques in cell culture.
- Use software applications to assemble, manipulate, format and/or perform statistical analyses of data.
- Prepare and present written and oral reports of experimental results. Assist in the writing and editing of manuscripts, including the assembly, organization, analysis and interpretation of data.
- Responsible for tracking inventory of lab materials, and record keeping.
- May train and direct the work of other laboratory personnel with respect to proper laboratory techniques, the use of laboratory equipment, and safety procedures.
- May direct the operation of one or more facets of the research laboratory.
- May evaluate and assist in the selection of new equipment and laboratory procedures.
- Bachelor of Science degree, with emphasis in molecular biology, cell biology, genetics, biochemistry, or a related field of science or technology.
- Four (4) or more years of related research experience, or an advanced degree in an appropriate field of science or technology and 2 or more years of related experience.
- Excellent molecular biology, cellular biology, and biochemistry skills.
- Proficiency in techniques such as RNA/DNA isolation, protein extraction, molecular cloning, Southern and Northern blotting, mammalian cell culture and transfection, western blotting, ELISA, viral-based gene delivery, real-time qPCR, gene silencing by RNA interference, FACS analysis, high throughput sequencing etc.
- Good analytical and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with data analysis software (Microsoft Excel and DNA sequence analysis software at a minimum).
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to evaluate and implement new techniques to address research problems.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, critical problem-solving abilities and commitment to science.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to review goals, analyze processes necessary to achieve those goals, and develop techniques and systems required to meet those goals.
- Contribute to scientific discussions; with assistance, write and prepare reports about research projects to present at scientific meetings. Able to write first drafts of manuscripts.
Please include a cover letter and three references with your resume. Please include the job title in the subject line. To apply for this position, please email or send your resume to: RegionBJobsP@hhmi.org
Howard Hughes Medical Institute - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard