Based in Bristol, CT, a Production Researcher will use broad and deep sports knowledge to ensure the accuracy of live news-and-information shows such as SportsCenter, and sport-specific shows on soccer, baseball, football, basketball and other sports and various game broadcasts. Responsibilities will include researching original content for full-screen graphics, anchor lead-ins and original pieces, as well as creating and dispersing information to other areas of ESPN, such as Studio Production, Event Production, ESPN Radio, ESPN.com, ESPN Mobile, and ESPN International.
The Production Researcher is responsible for being a good teammate, providing feedback to peers and management, being solution-oriented and generating ideas related to the future of the department.
ESPN, Inc., The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities. Headquartered in Bristol, Connecticut, ESPN is 80% owned by ABC, Inc. (a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company), and 20% by the Hearst Corporation.
Our mission: To Serve Sports Fans. Anytime. Anywhere.
• Utilizes broad and deep sports knowledge to ensure that graphics, game notes, anchor scripts and reporter scripts are factually and statistically accurate.
• Develops original graphics that provide statistical or factual analysis of events, news stories and topical issues.
• Researches original content for virtually every element of a studio show. Provides real-time updates and trend notes for anchors in studio and for score panels.
• Researches statistics and other information for all members of show group to support storylines.
• Develops and communicates storylines for a variety of ESPN shows. These ideas might also be used on ESPN International, ESPN Radio, the BottomLine or ESPN.com.
• Supports Event Production game crews with notes and news articles.
• Approaches job from a Stats & Information-wide perspective, knowing the essential functions of the other departments and able to assist and influence the performance of those other departments.
• Use advanced metrics and related statistics to tell stories and differentiate ESPN’s content across multiple platforms.
• Strong writing and grammar skills. Must have demonstrated ability to research, write and edit copy for TV, Digital or print publication, or comparable experience.
• Deep and broad sports knowledge across multiple sports. Must have expert-level recall of current and historical sports statistics, news, events and milestones.
• Must be able to communicate information accurately.
• Must be able to adhere to strict deadlines and react to breaking news.
• Must have awareness of how the use of advanced metrics affects the way fans assess performance across several sports.
• Experience with most major internet search engines and fluency in electronic newsgathering techniques, including quickly navigating the internet and knowledge set around social media
• Must have full availability to work nights, weekends and holidays.
• A minimum of 2 years’ experience working with working with statistics in an online, television or print media environment
• Experience working with sports content and storylines via TV, radio, newspaper or a notable sports blog
• Experience in sports news production with an emphasis on the graphic interpretation of news events
• Professional experience in following and shaping stories at all stages of development
• Experience in television/video production
• A thorough knowledge of television production usage of data in on-air and research applications.
• Experience working with Excel including building pivot tables
• College degree
• Fluency in reading, speaking and writing Spanish
• Experience working with sports content and storylines via TV, radio, newspaper or notable sports blog
College Degree or equivalent
High School Diploma or equivalent
Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you’ll have the opportunity to join a team that’s beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you‘ve been looking for.
ESPN, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.
ESPN, Inc. - 12 months ago
ESPN, Inc. The Worldwide Leader in Sports, is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest...