Service Employees International Union
Local 615 is the 17,000 member Property Service local for New England representing janitors, custodians, security officers and maintenance workers employed in the commercial office, residential, and higher education sectors. Local 615 is committed to building a strong Union based on membership participation and leadership development.
Local 615 is part of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), the largest and fastest growing union in the United States. Local 615 is part of the SEIU Property Services Division, which runs the Justice for Janitors and Stand for Security campaigns that have successfully improved the lives of thousands of low wage and immigrant workers throughout the country.
Purpose: To assist the leadership of Local 615 in building a powerful rank and file union, through research that supports campaign and organizing work of property service workers in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire.
Location: Boston, MA
Duties and Responsibilities: The researcher conducts in-depth research in support of all stages of different types of campaigns. Specific job duties may vary, but will include:
1) Assist in developing campaigns within a Property Service strategy.
2) Develop and execute tactics consistent with campaign strategy which balances field, legal, legislative, and media campaign components.
3) Track market and industry trends within a specific geography and industry; develop market analysis of target industries, including analysis of policy issues which affect target industries, and analyze growth and development plans of key market players.
4) Develop and execute a research work plan that reflects campaign objectives.
5) Assist union leadership in the selection of appropriate organizing targets.
6) Produce accurate written materials for both internal and public use.
7) Answer requests for information in a timely manner.
8) Communicate problems and concerns to the research coordinator and/or campaign director.
9) Basic financial analysis of public and private entities in support of organizing.
10) Participate in regulatory board hearings, community meetings, etc.
11) Coordinate with all Local Union departments, and with other local union and international researchers.
12) Assist in data input, monitoring the integrity of data and maintenance of database files.
1) Union staff members are required to work long and irregular hours, including work on weekends and on holidays as necessary. As demands and priorities for a particular campaign or the overall organization shift, staff is expected to flexible.
2) A demonstrated commitment to progressive social change and activist experience.
3) Excellent writing and speaking ability.
4) Ability to demonstrate high level of proven leadership and judgment.
5) Patient in pressure situations and savvy with conflict management.
6) Dress appropriately for given job assignments.
7) Must be willing to and capable of travel within and outside of the local union’s jurisdiction for the purposes of campaign work, support work for national union priorities or education/training.
8) Competence in English required; competence in another primary language of Local 615 members (Spanish, Portuguese, French, Arabic) preferred.
Evaluation and Supervision:
The Researcher is expected to work independently to plan and carry out work plans, set goals and timetables, take initiative to drive the local union's program goals, and carry out a monthly work plan with minimal supervision. The Researcher is supervised by the Research Coordinator.
All Local 615 staff is evaluated on ability and skill in assisting the union to meet our goal of organizing and representing workers successfully, and on effectiveness at the above listed job duties. Other criteria include the ability to work with other staff and members during campaigns, balance conflicting demands successfully, make plans, execute assignments, and meet deadlines.
Compensation: Salary depending on experience; excellent benefits including health insurance, auto allowance, and pension plan.
With 1.9 million members, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is the fastest-growing labor union in North America. Together...