Under general supervision, performs all functions of law enforcement work as associated with a fully qualified Police Officer as established by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Training and Standards Council.
Examples of Duties:
• Patrols an assigned area (downtown, special events, and crowd control) on foot, by patrol car, or other assigned mode of transportation to preserve order and enforce laws;
• Receives and answers complaints and requests for service from citizens, provides information or assistance, or investigates according to policies and procedures;
• Summons additional personnel, ambulance, or additional facilities to the scene of disaster, crime or accident as required;
• Interviews complainants, witnesses, and other persons who may have related information;
• Prepares detailed records and reports as required;
• Makes arrests as warranted;
• Presents oral testimony in court;
• Notifies business owners of conditions deserving attention;
• Coordinates and meets with other officers and supervisors to collaborate efforts to address police issues in assigned area;
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Certified Law Enforcement Officer - 3 - 5 years experience with completion of all requirements of the N.C. Criminal Justice Training and Standards Council for a fully qualified law enforcement officer.
Non-qualifying experience such as corrections officer, probation officer, park ranger, security officer, detention officer, or jailer will not be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• laws and ordinances relating to arrest, search and seizure, and traffic control;
• layout of streets and the location and characteristics of neighborhoods and business districts;
• modern police practices and principles including crime detection and routine investigations, radio communications and apprehension of criminals
• use of small firearms and the application and means of self defense and manual apprehension;
• use of assigned vehicles and equipment
• exercise knowledge gained through experience and to apply sound judgment and resourcefulness in emergencies;
• meet and deal courteously and effectively with the general public;
• maintain moral standards and integrity;
• produce written documents with clearly organized thoughts using proper sentence structure and grammar;
• learn job-related material through observation, structured lecture, and oral instruction;
• perform work requiring good physical and mental condition and maintain a level of physical and mental fitness to meet department standards;
• remain in a standing or sitting position for extended periods of time;
• work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the elements;
• establish and maintain effective working relationships with other police officers, City officials, cooperating agency personnel, and the general public
• Must be a certified North Carolina Law Enforcement Officer in good standing with the N.C. Criminal Justice Standards Commission;
• Must have a valid North Carolina driver's license and acceptable driving record;
• Must be available to work a minimum of eight (8) hours per month on an as-needed basis;
• Must meet any other minimum employment requirements established by the City of Greenville.
Appointment to the position of Reserve Police Officer will be contingent upon passing the following: interview with Chief of Police or designee, background investigation, medical examination, and drug screening.
City of Greenville, NC - 8 months ago