Resident Director - |
Full-time, year-round, live-in position available in the Johnson Residence Hall (all male residence hall). The Resident Director (RD) is a member of the student development staff under the supervision of the Associate Dean for Community Life (ADCL). The RD has primary responsibility for the administration of the residential community to which he is assigned with broader responsibilities within the Office of Residence Life (ORL) as assigned by the ADCL. The RD is responsible for establishing and maintaining a safe, healthy, and nurturing living environment that will enhance each students’ potential for achieving their individual spiritual, educational, personal, and professional goals.
• The RD will be knowledgeable of community and campus resources that may be beneficial to residents.
• The RD will be skilled in referring residents to other helping professionals in the community and on campus.
• The RD will establish relationships with community and campus helping professionals that will enhance the referral process.
• The RD will provide training and ongoing support for student residence life staff as they deal with issues on their floor/unit.
• The RD will provide leadership and support for student residence life staff and student spiritual life staff as they develop and implement a spiritual life strategy for the residence community.
• The RD will be responsible for general administrative and clerical tasks related to the management of the residence community.
• Resident Directors are key members of the residence life team and are expected to attend all regularly scheduled meetings, be prepared to make significant contributions in those meetings, and cooperate with the ADCL and other residence life staff in developing the campus wide residence life program.
• Resident Directors are a valued part of the student development team and are expected to be active participants and contributors to the student development effort. Attendance at regularly scheduled meetings of the student development staff is expected. Opportunities to contribute to other areas in student development may be available.
• The RD will ensure timely communication of significant residence community events to the ADCL (weekly written report and ongoing oral reports as needed).
• The RD will ensure that the residence community is reasonably well maintained, with equipment in proper operating order and furnishings in good repair and in place.
• The RD will ensure that the residence community includes the equipment, programs, and services necessary to provide reasonable levels of safety, security, public health and comfort.
• The RD will ensure an open communication with and positive working relationship with physical plant.
• The RD will establish a schedule for student workers (Assistant Resident Director (ARD) Resident Assistants, desk workers, etc.) to provide for services and supervision of the residence community.
• The RD will assist the office of residence life in making room assignments and room changes as needed.
• The RD will provide support for students on academic probation.
• The RD will know, value, and accurately communicate to students the community standards as outlined in the Handbook for Community Life and The Handbook for Residence Life.
• The RD will maintain personal contact with residents experiencing conduct problems to ensure they understand and develop an appreciation for our community standards.
• The RD will establish specific goals for her/his residential community
• Accept other duties as assigned.
Additional duties will be assigned in either intramural sports or career advising based on experience
• Determine the activities to be included in the intramural program
• Schedule the intramural activities in coordination with the Luce Facilities Coordinator
• Select and organize an intramural council comprised of Asbury HPER majors and/or minors
• Develop playing schedules and communicate those times to the participants
• Hire the necessary student workers and officials to conduct intramural competition
• Work with the Athletic Fields Coordinator regarding field setup and preparation
• Communicate with Health Services (Clinic) regarding any injury
• Supervise the intramural team competition and special events
• Monitor the participants’ behavior in intramural activities and deal with inappropriate behavior in conjunction with the Student Coordinators and the Intramural Council
• This position requires mid-afternoon, evening and weekend hours as the intramural program is scheduled around academic classes and intercollegiate sports.
• Provide individual, group, and online career counseling related to all stages of the career development process
• Assist students in choosing their majors and identifying their career goals.
• Administer and interpret vocational assessments.
• Assist Director and Assistant Director in the research and implementation of online resources.
• Provide students with information regarding occupations and job market trends.
• Educate students regarding the job search process and provide support and resources.
• Advise students in the exploration of graduate and professional education.
Education and Preferred Experience: A master’s degree in student personnel, student development, counseling, or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Previous experience in residence life is preferred. The RD is expected to have a personal relationship with God through knowledge of Jesus Christ as personal Savior; be able and willing to speak openly and freely about their relationship and strive to know Him more fully through prayer, reading and meditating upon His Word, and active participation in regular fellowship with other believers. The RDs lifestyle and conduct is expected to be consistent with one who knows Christ as Savior and is striving for holy living.
To apply please print and submit signed employment application, addendum with essay answers and resume to the Human Resources office. The application and addendum are attached below.
Posted: 3/20/2014 Deadline: Until filled
Asbury University - 4 months ago