Supplier Resident Engineer
Job Description for Resident/Release Engineer
The Resident Engineer shall perform to the following job description. The general purpose of the position is to lead design activities to integrate the Product(s) to be supplied into the vehicle. Assist and support the Buyer’s Lead Engineer in defining requirements, evaluating design alternatives, verifying performance, resolution of issues and process improvements for the Product(s) to be supplied.
- Assist with the definition of system requirements.
- Assume responsibility for electrical packaging on multiple programs
- Direct design activities with the group to package the Product(s) to be Supplied into vehicles.
- Develop and maintain contacts with platform personnel involved in packaging.
- Attend required meetings to keep others informed of relevant issues and to learn latest program direction.
- Provide technical direction to relevant Support Groups and Engineering Groups.
- Perform design analysis and trade-off studies.
- Stay abreast of new technologies and Buyer’s competition.
- Resolve issues on assigned CTS or SSTS sections.
- Work with requirement owners.
- Initiate system requirement change requests.
- Coordinate communication meetings between Buyer and Supplier.
- Recommend additional testing and development as required.
- Determine and investigate design alternatives.
- Determine and investigate mechanization alternatives.
- Prepare project plans.
- Assist with the resolution of system issues and determine the root cause and resolution to verification and test incidents.
- Prepare and present responses to action items.
- Participate in design reviews.
- Assist with the failure mode and effects analysis process.
- Maintain an awareness of programs and vehicle systems.
- Represent Buyer’s position when communicating with Supplier.
- Complete special projects.
- Determine improvements to the process.
- Proficiency in the use of Unix-based workstations and software appropriate to the Product(s) to be Supplied.
- Experience with i-Logix State Mate Modeling or Rhapsody.
- Experience with requirement definition using structured analysis methods.
- Experience with electromagnetic compatibility design, development, or testing.
Buyer’s Engineering Group Manager or Engineering Supervisor is responsible for all
- Buyer’s Lead Engineer is responsible for all program related technical direction.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering.
- Experience with Buyer’s vehicle and subsystem design.
- Experience with vehicle electrical/electronic subsystem packaging.
- Ability to read body layout drawings.
- Familiar with Design for Manufacturability (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA), Design for Six Sigma (DFSS), Design and Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (DFMEA, PFMEA).
- Minimum of 2 years experience in design or development with Supplier.
- Good written and oral communication skills - must be able to clearly and concisely communicate technical information.
- Good interpersonal skills - must work well on a team.
- Good organizational skills - must be able to manage several projects efficiently.
- Ability and ambition to work under pressure to meet schedules and maintain a high level of output.
- Proficiency in the use of personal computers and Microsoft Office tools.