POSITION TITLE: Residence Counselor
POSITION STATUS: 30-35 Hours/Week, 52 Weeks/year
QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma or GED. Valid NYS Driver's license acceptable to Agency insurance standards (depending on program needs). Satisfactory completion of agency training program within six months of employment.
Provide direct care to consumers receiving Agency Residential Program services. The Residence Counselor reports directly to the Assistant Residence Manager and Residence Manager and is responsible to them with respect to questions regarding program policies, practices, and procedures.
Through their actions, the employee must demonstrate an understanding of the person-centered philosophy of the agency; as well as its Mission and the Five Governing Principles. Staff will encourage and motivate consumers to foster personal choice, independence, inclusion, individuality and productivity in all areas of their lives.
1. Ensures and provides for the safety and welfare of consumers at all times while allowing the dignity of risk when consumers make informed choices.
2. Provides assistance and training for consumers in all personal skill areas through the implementation of the programmatic plans of service as agreed upon by the consumer, advocate and team.
3. Participates in the day to day operation of the residence by assisting in meal planning and preparation, inventory, shopping and purchasing of food and household supplies, and the cleaning of the residence, while actively involving the consumer to the greatest degree possible.
4. Provides and/or assists with direct personal care to consumers including, but not limited to; feeding, dressing, toileting, and personal hygiene, while respecting the privacy and dignity of each consumer.
5. Documents daily and/or unusual occurrences including, but not limited to: fire drill performance, incident reports, program data sheets, time sheets, vehicle mileage sheets, daily log entries, bed checks, and any documentation as requested by your supervisor.
6. Participates as a member of a person-centered planning team by communicating the consumer's interests, likes / dislikes, and by being a role model for the consumer. Implements and monitors programs by documenting progress towards the consumer's valued outcomes.
7. Fosters community inclusion by involving the consumer in the planning and implementation of recreational and leisure time activities.
8. Assists consumers and/or co-workers in performing lifting or transferring consumers to and from a wheelchair, bathroom facilities, therapy tables or bed, and performs any other lifts or transfers as required.
9. Schedules, coordinates, and transports and/or escorts consumers to program, medical, dental, or other appointments as needed (unless designated as non-driving staff).
10. Attends and participates in all agency required training sessions as per agency policy. This includes at least 120 hours of training during the first year of employment and all re-certifications and updates as directed thereafter.
11. Attends and participates in all staff meetings.
12. Administers medications and treatments upon satisfactory completion of the medication administration course. Certification must be maintained through remedial training and annual recertification. Decertification will result in a reduction of pay.
13. Implements and carries out prescribed therapies or treatments as ordered by licensed physicians, nursing staff, or therapists. Performs behavior management (SCIP) when necessary.
14. Demonstrates an understanding of person-centered philosophy by respecting and encouraging consumers to be as independent as possible, providing opportunities to make life choices, encouraging consumers to communicate their feelings and fears without the fear of harm or reprisal and ensuring that consumers receive supports and services which are effective and meet their needs.
15. Performs all other duties and may be reassigned to other residences as directed by the Assistant Residence Manager, Residence Manager or Residential Administration.
Please apply online at www.saratogabridges.org
RegionalHelpWanted.com - 18 months ago