Plum Creek is one of the largest private land owners in the United States with almost 6.6 million acres in 19 states. We are listed on the S & P 500 and all of our timberlands are SFI certified. The company is the first and largest publicly-held timber Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT). Our team members are driven and passionate about achieving Plum Creek's goals.
We have an opening for a Resource Forester in Brookhaven, Mississippi . This unit encompasses approximately 325,000 acres. In this role, you will have the opportunity to assist in the harvest of over 1.3 million tons per year.
This is a community of about 11,000 in Mississippi with an economy centered on forestry and the conversion of forest products. This is a beautiful area located in the southwest part of the state and there are many recreational activities to choose from. Within a short drive of Brookhaven there are several state parks as well as the Homochitto National Forest that offers many recreational opportunities such as boating, fishing, hiking, and bike riding.
This role will require that you spend 80% of your time in the woods doing a variety of tasks including timber harvest supervision, harvest boundary layout, flagging stream buffers and other similar tasks in a variety of weather conditions over difficult terrain. Approximately 20% of your time will be spent in the office documenting forest practices and applications.
As a Resource Forester , you will have the opportunity to:
- ensure compliance with environmental and SFI principles. Work with public and local government agencies.
- implement silvicultural regimens that maximize the value of current harvest and future value of the residual stands.
- participate in planning, preparation and contract administration for timber harvest, sales and negotiation, and road maintenance.
- work with the team to manage our forests
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Forestry or a related field is required.
- Two years of forestry experience or forestry internship experience is preferred.
- Interpersonal skills to work well with co-workers, contractors, and other internal and external associates.
- Working knowledge in the areas of logging systems and related laws, including environmental and SFI and BMPs
- Working knowledge of GIS systems
- A basic understanding of forecasting and budgeting
- Computer proficiency with various Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, Access and PowerPoint
- Asset management/forestry operations: logging site selection, supervising site prep, inventory and fertilization
- Working knowledge of Southern Pine Plantation Management.
- Log resources management: developed plans to realize optimal value from harvest and merchandising activities. Understands customer needs, log quality and market values of log grades and tree species. Understands local/regional markets and pricing
Plum Creek wants to attract and keep the best people—the team that drives our business success. That is why we offer competitive compensation. Plum Creek offers a comprehensive range of benefits including Health Care coverage, Health and Dependent Daycare Accounts, Life and Disability protection, Saving and Retirement benefits, Vacation and Holiday Pay, Family and Self Care Leave, Tuition Assistance for higher education, Children’s Scholarships, and more. Plum Creek has a collaborative, execution-oriented culture focused on results delivery. Plum Creek values strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills in addition to strong technical skills. We look for motivated people interested in identifying and championing new ideas and solutions that add value. We strive to have a good balance between career and personal life. Plum Creek’s size and diversity creates interesting and unique career opportunities for our team.
This position has a company-assigned vehicle that may be used for personal commuting and incidental mileage to and from work.
Salary: $40,100 - $53,200 + up to 14% bonus potential.
Paid relocation assistance is available based on individual circumstances.
For more information about Plum Creek and to apply, please visit our Career Center at: www.plumcreek.com . Plum Creek is an equal opportunity employer.
Plum Creek is one of the largest private landowners in the United States, with more than 6 million acres from coast-to-coast. We are...