Plum Creek is one of the largest landowners in the United States, with roughly 6.3 million acres and offices in 19 states. We're a publicly traded company (NYSE: PCL), listed on the S&P 500 and headquartered in Seattle, Washington. We're also the first and largest publicly-held timber Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) and currently have an opening for a Resource Forester in L'Anse, Michigan. This unit encompasses approximately 350,000 acres.
In this role, you will be joining a seasoned team of forestry professionals harvesting over 400,000 tons per year. This role will require that you spend approximately 80% of your time in the woods doing a variety of tasks including:
Approximately 20% of your time will be spent in the office documenting forest practices and applications.
- harvest area identification
- job set-up and boundary layout
- timber harvest supervision
- product manufacturing quality control
- flag stream buffers and other similar tasks in a variety of weather conditions over difficult terrain
As a Resource Forester , you will have the opportunity to:
- Ensure compliance with environmental and SFI TM principles.
- Work with public and local government agencies.
- Implement silvicultural regimens that maximize the value of current harvest and future value of the residual stands.
- Participate in planning, preparation and contract administration for timber harvest, sales and negotiation, and road maintenance.
- Bachelor's degree in Forestry or a related field is required.
- Either 2+ years of forestry experience or forestry internship experience is required.
- Proven history of safely working in an unsupervised, independent and self-motivated work environment.
- Interpersonal skills to work well with co-workers, contractors, and other internal and external associates in a fast-paced, highly collaborative work environment.
- Working knowledge in the areas of logging and trucking systems.
- Working knowledge of Lake States Forestry related regulations and laws, including environmental, SFI TM and all related BMP's.
- Working knowledge of GIS systems.
- A basic understanding of forecasting, budgeting and economics.
- Computer proficiency with various Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, Access and PowerPoint.
- Asset management/forestry operations: logging site selection, timber harvest supervision, layout and construction of logging roads.
- Working knowledge of Northern Hardwood Management.
- Log resources management: developing plans to realize optimal value from harvest and merchandising activities.
- Understanding customer needs, log quality and market values of log grades and tree species.
- Understanding local/regional markets and pricing.
Plum Creek wants to attract and keep the best people-the team that drives our business success. That is why we offer competitive compensation. Plum Creek offers a comprehensive range of benefits including Health Care coverage, Health and Dependent Daycare Accounts, Life and Disability protection, Saving and Retirement benefits, Vacation and Holiday Pay, Family and Self Care Leave, Tuition Assistance for higher education, Children's Scholarships, and more. Plum Creek has a collaborative, execution-oriented culture focused on results delivery. Plum Creek values strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills in addition to strong technical skills. We look for motivated people interested in identifying and championing new ideas and solutions that add value. We strive to have a good balance between career and personal life. Plum Creek's size and diversity creates interesting and unique career opportunities for our team.
This position has a company-assigned vehicle that may be used for personal commuting and incidental mileage to and from work.
Salary: $40,100 - $53,200 + up to 14% bonus potential.
Paid relocation assistance is available based on individual circumstances.
For more information about Plum Creek and to apply, please visit our Career Center at: http://www.plumcreek.com/ .
Plum Creek is an equal opportunity employer.
Plum Creek - 8 months ago
Plum Creek is one of the largest private landowners in the United States, with 6.7 million acres and over 40 offices from coast-to-coast. We...