Plum Creek is one of the largest private land owners in the United States with almost 6.6 million acres in 19 states. We are listed on the S & P 500 and all of our timberlands are SFI certified. The company is the first and largest publicly-held timber Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT). Our team members are driven and passionate about achieving Plum Creek's goals.
We have an opportunity for a Resource Forester to lead the harvesting and marketing of wood on approximately 400,000 acres of Plum Creek property in North Florida. This position will work out of the Gainesville , Florida office and will be a part of a results oriented team consisting of five Senior Resource Foresters, a Resource Forester, and a Resource Supervisor.
Gainesville is a community of about 110,000 people in north central Florida with a focus on education, medicine, cultural arts and sports. This community, located in Alachua County, consists of almost 65% or 965 square miles of wilderness with amazing lakes, wetlands and winters in the low 70’s. Many of our employees live in the surrounding areas of Gainesville, home of the University of Florida Gators.
This role will require that you spend 75% of your time in the woods doing a variety of tasks including timber harvest supervision, harvest layout, and other similar tasks in a variety of weather conditions over difficult terrain, in remote locations. Approximately 25% of your time will be spent in the office documenting forest practices and applications. There will be occasional overnight travel.
As a Resource Forester , you will have the opportunity to:
- ensure compliance with environmental and SFI principles. Ensure compliance with public and local government agencies.
- participate in planning, preparation and contract administration for tree planting, site preparation and other silviculture activities.
- participate in planning, preparation and contract administration for timber harvest, sales and negotiation, and road maintenance.
- work with the different support groups throughout the company to better manage our forests.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Forestry or a related field is required.
- Two years of forestry experience or forestry internship experience is preferred.
- Interpersonal skills to work well with co-workers, contractors, and other internal and external associates.
- Working knowledge in the areas of logging systems and related laws, including environmental and SFI and BMPs
- Working knowledge of GIS/GPS systems
- A basic understanding of forecasting and budgeting
- Computer proficiency with various Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, Access and PowerPoint
- Asset management/forestry operations: logging site selection, supervising site prep, inventory and fertilization
- Log resources management: develops plans to realize optimal value from harvest and merchandising activities; understands customer needs, log quality and market values of log grades and tree species; understands local/regional markets and pricing
- Understanding of forest fire management
Plum Creek wants to attract and keep the best people—the team that drives our business success. That is why we offer competitive compensation. Plum Creek offers a comprehensive range of benefits including Health Care coverage, Health and Dependent Daycare Accounts, Life and Disability protection, Saving and Retirement benefits, Vacation and Holiday Pay, Family and Self Care Leave, Tuition Assistance for higher education, Children’s Scholarships, and more.
Plum Creek has a collaborative, execution-oriented culture focused on results delivery. Plum Creek values strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills in addition to strong technical skills. We look for motivated people interested in identifying and championing new ideas and solutions that add value. We strive to have a good balance between career and personal life. Plum Creek’s size and diversity creates interesting and unique career opportunities for our team.
This position has a company-assigned vehicle that may be used for personal commuting and incidental mileage to and from work.
Salary: $40,100 - $53,200 + up to 14% bonus potential. Paid relocation assistance is available based on individual circumstances.
For more information about Plum Creek and to apply, please visit our Career Center at: www.plumcreek.com .
Plum Creek is an equal opportunity employer.
Plum Creek - 14 months ago
Plum Creek is one of the largest private landowners in the United States, with 6.7 million acres and over 40 offices from coast-to-coast. We...