Reporting to the Manager, Respiratory Care – Chicago or Director of Respiratory Care Services, and according to established policies, procedures, respiratory standards of care and practice and the direction of the medical staff, the Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) renders competent, humane, individualized care to every patient and the family. The RCP assesses, plans, implements and evaluates the delivery of respiratory care services to facilitate continuity of care through the continuum of services offered at RML. Provides age and developmentally appropriate care to adult and geriatric patients.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Exemplifies the RML REACH (Service Excellence) culture by demonstrating respect, excellence, appreciation, concern and honor in all interactions with patients, families and co-workers, and as identified in departmental and hospital wide behavioral expectations.
- M aintains accountability for the management of all respiratory care services required by assigned patients. Accepts and responds to written and verbal physician orders, participates in emergency and “code” situations, performs cardio-pulmonary resuscitation, performs pulmonary assessments, administers and monitors patients’ response to bronchodilators, performs blood gas analyses, performs stat electrolytic analyses, performs complex respiratory treatments, and manages patients on mechanical ventilation per physician order and approved RML ventilator weaning protocol.
- Demonstrates clinical competence by consistently applying respiratory knowledge and performs within the scope of practice of a Respiratory Care Practitioner in the state of Illinois. Responsible for maintaining knowledge and skills appropriate to the respiratory needs of patients at RML (equipment, procedures, respiratory medications, etc.). Obtains necessary information and demonstrates competence prior to implementing new or unfamiliar care practices, or responsibly declines to provide assigned care and notifies supervisor until able to obtain the appropriate skill.
- Executes the medical treatment plan by implementing MD orders for respiratory care. Seeks clarification on any unclear or questionable order by consulting with the ordering physician (or on-call physician after hours), prior to implementation. If question is not resolved, the RCP refers the question to the Lead RCP for assistance, to the Clinical Supervisor, the Manager, Respiratory Care Services, the Director of Respiratory Care Services, or to the V.P. Patient Care Services/ CNO as necessary for resolution.
- P erforms blood gas and electrolyte analysis as ordered by physician, and consistent with hospital policies. Reports problems in specimen management or equipment operation to the lead RCP or department director.
- Assists in the assembly, disassembly, cleaning, and processing of respiratory therapy equipment according to department policies.
- Works in a team environment with all other members of the healthcare team to provide patient centered care. Works closely with other disciplines to define an individualized problem list and interventions. Correlates individualized patient care goals into an interdisciplinary patient care plan. Participates as requested in organized “staffing” meetings to discuss patient progress and revise goals.
- Assesses patients’ progress in accordance with established goals and initiates appropriate actions. Documents thoroughly in Meditech regarding patient’s condition and interventions performed (e.g., medications given, treatments performed, etc.) Reports significant information to all appropriate individuals (change of shift report, change in condition to RN and/or MD, etc.). Ensures patient acuity is accurate for assigned shift in OptiLink.
- Works closely with other disciplines and the care coordinator to ensure that interventions and patient care is timely and progresses effectively in order to ensure patient and family readiness for discharge.
- Maintains the basic human rights and confidentiality of each patient, family and significant others in providing information and in delivering patient care. Is aware of and complies with applicable standards, regulations and laws related to healthcare workers and the care of hospitalized patients, including but not limited to pain management, confidentiality, and abuse reporting, etc.
- Observes and reports the emotional and spiritual needs of patients and assists in providing supportive care to them and their families.
- Based upon the patient’s age, developmental status and level of function:
- provides individualized clinical care
- facilitates patient and family participation in care
- demonstrates appropriate psychosocial interventions
- evaluates environment safety and provides a safe clinical environment
- Responsible for supporting a safe work environment for self and others, by reporting unsafe conditions, and by using appropriate safe work practices such as proper body mechanics and applicable safety devices (patient lift and transfer equipment, face and eye protection, and sharps disposal, PPE, etc.)
- Demonstrates knowledge of and consistently adheres to established precautions for infection control. Ensures that other healthcare workers and visitors are aware of and have the personal protective equipment available to appropriately interact with the patients under the RCP’s care.
- Participates in department performance improvement activities. Notes opportunities to improve patient safety, department operations, or respiratory care practices, and brings to attention of the Lead RCP or department manager or director. Participates in department and facility committees and performance improvement teams. Implements all applicable components of patient safety goals.
- Maintains effective colleague relationships with other members of the health care team through consistently professional and respectful communications. Actively participates in the educational development of healthcare students and participates in the formal and informal education of other team members. Participates in orienting and precepting new RCPs. Acts as preceptor for agency therapists, as assigned.
- Actively participates in staff meetings and continuing education activities. Provides information and feedback to other staff members on related clinical and professional topics. Meets all employee requirements (PPD, CPR, annual review, performance evaluation, etc.) by demonstrating completion or participating in the required activity prior to expiration or due date.
Skills & Abilities
1. Thorough knowledge of respiratory care procedures, equipment and respiratory pharmacological agents to recommend and perform therapy.
2. The clinical knowledge and technical skills to work with high technology equipment and computers.
3. The interpersonal skills necessary to positively interact with patients, families, physicians and other members of the health care team.
4. The physical ability for almost constant standing, walking, lifting, and moving patients and patient care equipment.
5. T he ability to perform effectively and efficiently under the pressure of stressful and/or emergency situations.
6. The ability to work in a team setting to provide patient centered care.
Knowledge & Experience
1. Recent acute patient care experience, including adult patients requiring mechanical ventilation.
2. Clinical competence documented by references based on respiratory care experience and education.
1. Completion of an AMA approved respiratory therapy program.
2. C ertification (CRT) or registration (RRT) by the National Board for Respiratory Care, or eligible to take CRT exam within 6 months of hire. Must pass exam to retain employment as RCP.
3. Current CPR.
1. Illinois state licensure required.
2. ACLS preferred.
Work is performed in a patient care environment. May be exposed to hazardous materials, including but not limited to bloodborne pathogens and medical gases under pressure.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned this job. They are not exhaustive lists of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions associated with it.
RML Specialty Hospital - 30+ days ago