A motivated individual with strong organization skills is sought for a, full-time paid 11 month internship to begin mid September, 2013 in Washington, DC. The intern for the Restoration and Water Resources team at NWF will work on an array of water issues but in particular will address: Congressional and federal actions pertaining to the Clean Water Act, build support for restoration in the Gulf of Mexico, modernize the Army Corps of Engineers (Civil Works), and help to promote legislation for regional watershed restoration. The intern will play a key role in the development and communication of key water policy priorities for the organization.
- Research, writing, and editing reports, newsletters, factsheets, blogs and memos on the Gulf of Mexico, Clean Water Act, and other water priorities and issues.
- Legislative and policy work at the federal, state and local levels including tracking bills and administrative regulations/ rulemakings, distributing information to decision-makers in hard copy and e-mail, maintaining target database and policy information and occasionally attending lobby meetings.
- Coalition building with partners, including attending coalition meetings, engaging NWF affiliates and partners, helping with lobby days and trainings, calling activists and like-minded organizations.
- Logistical support in organizing meetings and other events, including arranging travel, taking minutes, and distributing notes and other materials.
- Administrative duties as assigned.
- BA or BS, with strong course work or work experience in political science, wildlife science/ecology, water resources, environmental policy, or economics preferred
- Experience in or demonstrated commitment to environmental advocacy and water issues in particular is desirable.
- Proven experience in writing for multiple audiences.
- Ability to conduct extensive research required.
- Excellent researching, writing, speaking and computer skills.
- Power point skills and knowledge of lay-out and design programs are a plus.
This position offers $10/hour plus core benefits. Must be available to work a minimum of 24 (maximum of 48) weeks at 40 hours per week.**