The San Mateo County Employees' Retirement Association ( SamCERA ) is seeking a qualified Retirement Network and Applications Engineer . Under general supervision, the Retirement Network and Applications Engineer maintains SamCERAs network and systems. The incumbent is responsible for management of the operation, maintenance, upgrades and technical support of users for existing and new applications.
Primary duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
The ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree in either computer science or business administration; at least five years of IT application and network support experience; significant experience in VMware, Storage Area Network, Networking (LAN/WAN and WiFi),database administration, server operation systems (Window 2008, Linux, Netware, etc.), and setting up new PC/Laptops through cloning and imaging . Enterprise backup software and Active Directory administration experience is highly desired.
- Keep all systems up to date - VMware (vCenter, ESX servers, VMware View); Update virtual desktops regularly; Sun Storage Firmware updates; Data Domain Updates; ReadyNAS Updates; All Server Operating Systems (Windows, Linux); Print Drivers on Print Server; eDir server; All Server Applications (Confluence/JIRA, Dynamics GP, SQL Server, Veeam, Attendview, Fax Server, Search, etc.); and ensure all PCs are kept up to date (latest patches and software).
- Maintain Networks - Ensure backups and replication are completed and reliable (Veeam internally, and Comvault through county) including performing regular disaster testing; SAN Network; LAN Network; WiFi Networks (SamCERA and SamCERA-Video); Maintain DirecTV streaming PC; and maintain computer, server, and software inventory.
- Provide Tech Support to staff - Setup VPN accounts; Setup Notifylink accounts; Setup users in Active Directory and create Home Drives; Maintain Windows Network (Active Directory, Group Policy, etc.)
- Setup new computers (Clone, image, etc.)
- Responsible for setting up, maintaining, and imaging new computers
- Attend Monthly County LAG meeting
- Attend yearly conferences (PRISM, Technet, VMword, etc.)
- Cross-trained to support other IT Staff
The ideal candidate will also possess:
NOTE: The list created from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra help, temporary and/or permanent vacancies. Extra help positions pay an hourly salary without benefits. Hours are not guaranteed and may vary by position, up to 40 hours per week.
- PMP (Project Management Professional) Certification
- VCP Certification
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to effectively troubleshoot and solve systems issues;
- Superior interpersonal skills;
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team; and
- The ability to effectively communicate with diverse groups both verbally and in writing.
Examples Of Duties:
Other duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Analyze end user technical requirements and recommend specific hardware/software or operating systems solutions for their needs.
- Support and conducting user training on a full range of application software, including custom and industry specific applications such as PensionGold and Great Plains (Microsoft Dynamic).
- Provide web support including web design, maintenance and operation.
- Provide support for Windows desktop and server, Novell/GroupWise, Linux, and manage interfaces with other County databases and applications.
- Install, configure, maintain, troubleshoot and upgrade computers, printers, scanners, modems, faxes, tape drives, keyboards and related equipment.
- Install and replace internal computer components.
- Engineer and/or install new equipment or guide vendors doing the same; act as liaison between departmental users and vendors to insure necessary planning, scheduling and acceptance testing is appropriately carried out; coordinate external vendor maintenance for departmental equipment.
- Monitor departmental equipment and systems, review daily problem reports and determine system technical problems.
- Install, maintain and replace fixed function devices.
- Evaluate new hardware and software products for use by the department staff.
- Train department staff in the use of computer hardware and software; develop programs for upgrading the skills of departmental staff.
- Install, configure, maintain, troubleshoot and upgrade servers and mid-range computers, and related equipment.
- Install and replace internal server and mid-range computer components.
- Maintain local portions of regional computer networks and communications systems.
- Manage system installation and upgrade projects to assure optimal operation during change over.
- Assist in determining short and long range major system applications needs for the County services; plan software enhancements and changes to meet the needs of the users.
- Organize and staff application user groups to provide training on application use, identify future needs, and provide information back to software vendors on needed changes.
- Provide expert advice to users on the application software.
- Participate in departmental and County-wide systems planning activities.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with coursework in computer science, information systems, or closely related field and two years experience providing technical and analytical support in computer operations, including web support.
Knowledge of: Data processing principles, concepts and terminology; Principles of web design, maintenance and operation; Website architecture and applications using designated web-programming language; Business mathematics; Record keeping and filing principles and practices; Job planning and prioritizing techniques; Complex computer networks and systems, their operation, support, development and migration; Computer hardware and software products in use in the department and including custom and industry specific applications such as PensionGold and Great Plains (Microsoft Dynamic); Operations, purposes, and functions of the applications being supported; and Information needs and requirements of the systems users.
Skill/Ability to: Install and support hardware and software used by the department; Analyze operational and systems problems, evaluate alternatives and reach sound conclusions; Learn designated and specialized web design technology; Use initiative and sound independent judgment within established procedural guidelines to support automation systems; Prepare clear, concise and accurate documentation, instructions, correspondence and other written materials; Develop and present comprehensive training material for the appropriate area; Maintain accurate records and files; Organize work, set priorities and meet critical deadlines; Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work; Provide support to multiple users of broad based applications; Respond effectively to user problems and needs; Plan and coordinate the work of others; Communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with both technical and non-technical personnel; and Analyze user requirements and recommend appropriate data automation products.
Anyone may apply. San Mateo County and San Mateo County Court employees who have worked with at least six months of continuous services in a permanent or probationary position prior to the final filing date will have 5 points added to their final passing score on this examination. A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination will consist of a panel interview or a combined Civil Service and departmental panel interview process (weight: 100%), which may include an additional exam component given prior to, or during, the interview. Based solely on the information provided in the application materials, an application screening committee will select those applicants whose education, experience and responses to the questions on the employment application and the supplemental questionnaire appear to best meet the needs of the position and invite them to interview. Because of this process, all applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. Depending on the number of applications, an application appraisal of education and/or experience may be used in place of other examinations. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the 'Apply' button above. If you are not on the County's website, please go to www.smcgov.org/hr/jobs to apply.
VE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
Final Filing Date: February 14, 2013
Application Screening: February 20, 2013
Panel Interviews: March 5 and 6, 2013
San Mateo County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Analyst: Kelly Yip Hoang (020113) (Retirement Systems Technologist V237)
County of San Mateo - 13 months ago