Revenue Recognition Manager
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Code 42 Software is the creator of CrashPlan, CrashPlan PRO, and CrashPlan PROe award-winning onsite, offsite and cloud backup solutions for home, businesses, and enterprise. We deliver high-performance hardware and easy-to-use software solutions that protect the world's data.
Reporting to the CFO, the Revenue Recognition Manager will work as part of the Finance team, leading sales activity billing, financial operation reporting and analysis of monthly sales activity. Additionally, the position will be directly involved in all aspects of revenue accounting, including interpretation of revenue recognition criteria and management of deferred revenue.
Skills and Requirements
- Review revenue contracts for compliance with the company's revenue recognition policy and internal controls
- Plays an active role in the monthly close and reporting process assisting with preparation and review of revenue journal entries and account analysis in a multi-currency GL system.
- Assists in month and quarter end close, annual and quarterly audits, revenue and write-off analysis.
- Work with the Sales organization during contract negotiations on matters relating to revenue recognition
- Works closely with the billing and collection and sales operations to ensure compliance with the company's revenue recognition policy and facilitates revenue-related information exchange
- Advise the organization on appropriate order entry criteria for accurate revenue recognition of software transactions
- Provide training and guidance on revenue recognition rules, policies, and practices within the company
- Work with the company's external auditors, providing support and documentation for quarterly revenue audits
- Research accounting guidance as necessary to answer questions and analyze appropriate accounting treatment
- Assist with other accounting-related projects and tasks as requested by the CFO
- Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting
- 5-7 years of progressive revenue accounting experience, preferably within the software industry. Previous leadership experience highly preferred.
- In-depth understanding of and experience with software revenue recognition and related guidance (SOP 97-2 & 98-9)
- Experience reviewing complex contractual terms to determine appropriate revenue recognition.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and a professional attitude and demeanor for interacting with internal and external customers
- Strong organizational skills, effective prioritization skills, the ability to remain flexible, and to perform multiple tasks in time critical situations
- Ability to deliver the highest standard of cross-departmental customer service
- Ability to recognize problems, gather data using multiple reports and data sources, draw valid conclusions, and effectively present information to peers and managers in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
- Organized and thorough with superb attention to detail and desire for continuous improvement.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, particularly Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word. Experience with graphs, pivot and lookup functions required.
- Responsible for Code 42 Software's information security by appropriately preserving the Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability (CIA) of Code 42 Software information assets in accordance with the company's information security program.
Code 42 is an equal employment opportunity employer.