Healthcare Associates degree required; Bachelor preferred; 5 yrs experience in a hospital setting; prefer Risk Management or Legal experience accurate verbal & written skills; communication skills; willingness to develop presentation skills; achieves sucess with limited resources and mentoring None Requires sound judgment and decision making abilities.
Rotation of 24/7 on call responsibilities and occasional presence during off shifts.
This position is responsible for risk identification and resolution. The individual will oversee the incident reporting process, including: analysis, investigation, documentation of occurrences and the tracking & trending of events. The position is responsible for representation and participation at assigned committees and assumes an active role in Cause Analysis and Failure Mode & Effect Analysis (FMEA). This individual strives to resolve claims prior to litigation and will conduct discovery in litigated files as directed by assigned counsel. This position and department interacts with Administration, Medical Staff, Legal Department, Quality Management/Performance Improvement, Patient Safety and all levels of associates. This position assists in the facilitation of regulatory/accrediting body compliance.
1. Promotes the daily proactive operations of the Risk Management program, including but not limited to patient safety, loss prevention, claim management and regulatory compliance in order to improve the quality of patient care, reduce risk and minimize loss. Maintains confidentiality and controls access of information. Directs all aspects of data management & interpretation and claims management. This position participates in the resolution of operational challenges while serving as an internal resource & consultant; requires sound judgment and decision making. Positive relationships will be developed to encourage the utilization of Risk Management as a resource.
2. Daily conducts the review and analysis of reported patient safety events. The process is to include identification, investigation and assistance with the formation of risk reduction strategies. A network of informational resources is to be developed. This position ensures the collection of patient safety event data. Any occurrence that involves patient injury or liability exposure is to be immediately elevated to the Director, or designee.
3. Assists legal counsel and claims administrators in the investigation and management of claims. This position assists in the negotiation and settlement of non-asserted and asserted claims for management approval. Responsibilities include assisting legal counsel with the assessment and access of medical center records. Communication will be conducted with medical staff and associates as directed by legal counsel during the discovery process.
4. Analyzes data reported from multiple resources: anonymous reports, telephone referrals, and personal contacts. This position identifies trends regarding patient safety events or occurrences. Conducts and prepares Risk Management Assessments. Responsibilities include the preparation of reports for presentation by the Risk Management Director to the Hospital's Chief Executives, Claims Administrator, Hospital Administration, Governing Council and Medical Staff.
5. E. Educational needs will be acknowledged. This position is engaged and responsible for planning, organizing and implementing periodic hospital wide education and responding to routine request related to healthcare Risk Management and Patient Safety. This position must remain current in Risk Management knowledge & practices through participation of continuing educational programs.
6. Collaborates with associates responsible for the Patient Relations program to ensure that procedures for tracking patient complaints are integrated into the risk identifying function of the Risk Management Department. Assist with the preparation of Risk Management goals and objectives. Submits recommendations to adhere to budget limits.
Advocate Health Care - 12 months ago