The purpose of this position is to load and unload trucks and to provide timely and efficient transportation of food products from donors to the Food Bank and back to our partner agencies. It requires dependable assistance in warehouse operations and safety procedures with emphasis on receipt and storage of incoming product. This position works independently and with minimal direct supervision.
- Transports food from donors to the Food Bank and from the Food Bank to agencies it including loading, driving, and unloading.
- Develops good working relationships with store personnel and agency personnel, and immediately notifies Transportation Manager of any potential problems.
- Keeps accurate, legible log of the weights and sources of all food and grocery products donated and all agency receipts and shortages.
- Assesses the condition of donated food, placing acceptable products in proper storage and immediately discarding unacceptable product
- Marks and sorts perishable foods that require special handling.
- Maintains the freezers and cooler in a neat and orderly condition.
- Maintains vehicle condition logs and immediately informs Transportation Manager of any problems concerning Food Bank vehicles including accidents, mechanical failure, or need for maintenance.
- Operates forklifts, jacks, trucks, and other warehouse equipment in a safe manner.
- Works cooperatively with warehouse staff and assists with warehouse duties when time permits.
- Complies with all health regulations and other laws that govern food handling.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the Operations Management Team.
Education, Experience, and Training
Knowledge and Skills
- Possession of a current Texas Class A or Class B driver’s license with at least 2 years route delivery experience and a good driving record for at least three years (requires approval by insurance company as approved driver).
- Possession of a current Medical Certificate as required by DOT.
- Food Service experience preferred
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills. In particular, the ability to understand and organize detailed information and possess attention to detail with the ability to solve problems and show initiative
- Ability to juggle multiple projects with attention to detail and accuracy while adhering to deadlines in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
- Exercise good judgment and discretion; strong ethical character capable of handling confidential information.
- Coordination – Work closely with Transportation management to keep projects and tasks moving forward.
- Customer service—the individual manages difficult client/customer situations, responds promptly to customer needs, solicits customer feedback to improve service, responds to requests for service and assistance and meets commitments. Ability to represent the Food Bank in a courteous and professional manner.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper ways to lift heavy objects safely and ability to do so (50 lbs. at a minimum).
- Experience in warehousing and demonstrated ability to operate warehouse equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions without direct supervision.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other staff, volunteers, agency personnel, and store employees.
- 2 years ago - save job