We are currently looking for a Ruby Software Engineer to join our PLOS Labs team in our San Francisco, CA office.
You will be principally responsible for participating in the investigation and implementation of high-impact, innovative ideas that make scientific communication more effective and efficient. The Ruby Software Engineer will work within a small, cross functional team that includes both researchers and designers in addition to working with other staff from PLOS, and outside consultant and advisors.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Implementation of software, web services, and APIs for science communication
- Active participant in software design and planning
- Collaborate within a small, cross-functional team, and manage interactions with PLOS staff and outside consultants in the production of PLOS Labs projects
- Extensive understanding of HTML5, CSS, Ajax, jQuery, JSON
- Familiarity with Linux/POSIX development environments
- Educational background covering data structures, computer science, and algorithms
- Database experience (MySQL, PostgreSQL, noSQL)
- Experience with Agile methodology and workflow, knows how and why to write good tests
- Experience in academic/university research environments or scientific labs desirable
- Experience designing and deploying public APIs desirable
- Work on-site in San Francisco. This position has no remote work option
- Deep interest in science, open access publishing and open culture
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
The Public Library of Science (PLoS) is a non-profit organization of scientists and physicians committed to making the world's scientific...