The Next-Gen Sequencing (NGS) Scientific Programmer will work closely with other members of the Integrative Genomics Core and researchers throughout the Salk Institute to advance genomics research projects. This job will leverage a wide range of skills with a focus on contributing to elite scientific research projects:
- Assist Institute researchers and contribute to scientific discovery by analyzing genomics/NGS data, including RNA-Seq, ChIP-Seq, etc.
- Work closely with researchers from several different laboratories and scientific backgrounds simultaneously.
- Contribute to project inception, experimental design, analysis, and manuscript preparation.
- Work on independent informatics research projects under direction Integrative Genomics Core Director.
- Participate in the design and coding of analysis pipelines and cutting-edge bioinformatics analysis algorithms for NGS data used by the Core.
- Develop web-applications to manage, analyze, and report data efficiently.
- Provide training to researchers on how to analyze and interpret NGS data.
A bachelor's degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, biological sciences, engineering, math, statistics, or related discipline is required.
A Master's or PhD degree in a related field is preferred.
- Minimum of 2-years of experience in genomics.
- Bright, independent, and creative thinker willing to tackle challenging problems on a daily basis.
- Ability to multitask and manage progress on several concurrent projects.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience analyzing genome-wide data sets (microarray, next-generation sequencing, mass-spectrometry, etc.)
- Programming experience (Perl, Python, C/C++, Java, R, or Web applications).
- Strong command of Linux/UNIX operating system.
- Ability to identify, download, install, troubleshoot, and assess new analysis tools.
- Deep knowledge of biological sciences (particularly genetics and molecular biology).
- Experience with Illumina NGS analysis.
Excellent interpersonal as well as verbal and written communication skills are required.
Position requires constant seeing, adjusting focus, touching/feeling, keying, grasping, talking, hearing, handling, reading, writing, calculating, reasoning, analyzing, and communicating.
Salk Institute for Biological Studies - 13 months ago
copy to clipboard