The Division of HIV/AIDS
The UCSF HIV/AIDS Division at San Francisco General Hospital is an internationally recognized global leader in HIV clinical care, research and education. The HIV/AIDS Division is a vital academic research and clinical center whose goals include generating new knowledge to improve the care of vulnerable patients.
The SEARCH Laboratory Coordinator will work directly with the Program Director and Principal Investigator (s) and be involved in all phases of laboratory testing and specimen collection and coordination for a large global health program (SEARCH) located in multiple sites throughout Uganda and Kenya, including but not limited:
• Oversee the conduct of laboratory examinations in a large community cluster randomized study
• Works with in-country lab directors to insure proper collection and storage of specimens
• Works with in-country lab director to insure lab certification/quality control are present
• Works with Study virologist to facilitate virologic assays – organizing specimen shipments to SFGH
• Responsible for systems to inventory, track and ship specimens for large study
In addition, the SEARCH Laboratory Coordinator will be required to reside in Uganda and take intermittent travel to Kenya. The SEARCH Laboratory Coordinator will entail planning, coordinating and oversight of lab systems and will act as a liaison between studies’ multiple principal investigators, in-country data mangers and coordinators, and UCSF, UCB, and UNC counterparts for the purposes of laboratory specimen management. The SEARCH Laboratory Coordinator will require frequent communication to domestic international collaborating sites requiring cultural sensitivity as well as independence and decision making skills regarding laboratory organization and presentation that will shape the overall development, integrity, and direction of research program’s objectives.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Experience working in a laboratory
• Excellent interpersonal and diplomacy skills
• Excellent organizational skills. Time and resource management are essential for this position
• Familiarity with data systems for tracking of laboratory studies and results
• Knowledge of Scientific Procedures
• Willingness to live in Africa (Uganda)
Physical Demands: requires sitting; standing; walking; bending; waist twisting; climbing stairs; reaching up to shoulder height; reaching above shoulder level; carrying/lifting 30 pounds; pushing/pulling 30 pounds; gripping/grasping, fine/gross finger manipulation; repetitive movements of upper and lower extremities; may be exposed to loud noises; dust, fumes or gases; chemical agents; tuberculosis, blood, body fluids or tissue, and radiological materials; latex, use protective equipment; differentiate color.
Note: Physical/Health Screening, fingerprinting and background check required.
• Masters degree in public health, epidemiology, or the equivalent
• Previous experience in a clinical research or observational cohorts
• Overseas experience
• Laboratory Management experience
University of California San Francisco - 16 months ago