This position involves the responsibility of performing operational functions that include the vessel stowage planning as well as communicating with the Equipment Operators and the stevedores who are physically loading the vessel. The job functions must be carried out in accordance with general work instructions and established office practices, procedures and precedents. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note applicants out of the geographic region for position applied will not be considered.
REQUIREMENTS & ABILITIES:
- Graduation from a Merchant Marine Academy or University or a minimum of four (4) years experience as a Ship Mate or Chief Mate or four (4) years experience as a Cargo Planner.
- Minimum two (2) years experience handling dangerous cargo.
- Thorough knowledge of vessel stability and trim.
- Ability to communicate in English, both verbally and in writing, at an advanced level
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills in programs such as MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook (AS-400 a plus).
- Skill in composition and preparation of correspondence, reports, minutes and other written materials with accuracy and reasonable speed.
- Ability to meet and deal effectively with stevedores, executive and co-workers. Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Ability to think logically and follow procedures and instructions.
- Ability to work with limited supervision, strong initiative.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and other individuals s/he may have to contact in order to perform her/his job.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Must be able to work flexible work schedule as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use his fingers.
- The employee frequently is required to talk and/or hear.
- The employee is continuously required to sit.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- The employee must continuously lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Prepares vessel stowage plan.
- Calculates vessel stability.
- Segregates Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) accordingly.
- Coordinates with Equipment Operators to ensure cargo is available to load onto the vessel at the appropriate time in order to avoid unnecessary charges.
- Assists equipment operators in resolving discrepancies between the stow-plan and cargo actually loaded onto the vessel.
- Coordinates with commercial divisions and Dispatch department to ensure all cargo is dispatched in timely manner and will meet the vessels’ sailing deadline. Performs additional job duties as assigned.
- Contacts TIR Clerks or equipment operators for relevant information regarding any problem that may arise with locating scheduled cargo or with replacement of scheduled cargo safely on the vessel.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
- Report safety hazards.
- Immediately report incidents involving injury, illness, or property damage.
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed by immediate supervisor.
- Comply with all company safety policies, procedures, and rules.
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation.
- Participate in safety meetings and training.
- Be constantly aware of their personal safety and that of their coworkers.
- Receives direct supervision from the Stevedore Assistant Manager and Stevedore Manager; may assist other Stevedoring employees in the performance of the job functions. Does not exercise supervision over any position. Frequently exercises discretion.
- Frequently indoors exposed to controlled temperature and office environment.
- Frequently exposure to dust and/or fumes.
- Frequently driving automotive equipment.
- Occasionally outdoors exposed to changing weather, marked changes in temperature & humidity.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high.
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change