SENIOR PLASTICS ENGINEER
The Senior Plastics Engineer will play a critical role with high cross-functional visibility within a global engineering team. Global Engineering supports all three major business units within company: Vision Care, Pharmaceutical and Surgical. The principal function will be to provide plastic engineering product and process development support for medical products. This position is an opportunity to leverage manufacturing experience as a Subject Matter Expert and Technical Manager of the OEM supplier base and internal customers.
Specific Job Duties:
• Medical Product Design and Development
• Identification and selection of molding compounds
• Identification and selection of primary and secondary processing equipment
• Critique parts designs for ‘Design for Manufacturability’ and optimum molding performance
• Analyze designs using simulation software to review function and manufacturability
• Critique tool designs for robust mechanical design and optimum molding performance
• Manage activities with external suppliers, both molders and tool makers
• Support tooling debug and process development with suppliers
• Responsible for development of processes that consistently yields parts conforming to specifications
• Design and execute experiments (DOE’s) to optimize manufacturing process performance
• Technology transfer of new products and processes
• Evaluate new plastics technologies
• Project management
• Process validation and documentation
Education/Experience: BS/MS in Plastics or Mechanical engineering with a minimum of 8 years plastics injection molding experience, preferably R&D based.
The desired candidate has demonstrated skills in plastic components design, injection mold tooling expertise, tight tolerance process development and validation, project management and familiarity with FDA regulated products.
Supervisory skills and certified design of six sigma experience are a plus.
• Familiar with Product & Process Development Phase/Gate Methodology.
• Strong troubleshooting and analytical capabilities.
• Experience with Design for Manufacturing concepts, working knowledge of materials and injection molding fabrication methods.
• Design for Experiments (DOE) experience.
• Must possess strong communication and interactive skills, capable of working independently or on project teams as required.
• Leadership ability to develop plastics engineering core competency.
• Design software (SolidWorks or AutoCad).
• Analysis software (Moldflow, etc.).
• ISO-9000, GMP, Six sigma, DOE.