This recruitment will remain open until 150 applications are received or February 22, 2013 at 5:00 p.m.
Currently there is one (1) part-time vacancy at the OASIS Senior Center performing duties in facilities set-up and rentals, customer service, and fitness center operations. The individual selected for this position will need to be available to work a varied schedule of at least 20 hours during the workweek, including nights and weekends.
Those candidates deemed most qualified as reflected in their application will be invited to a written examination tentatively scheduled for Monday, March 4, 2013 . The eligibility list established from this recruitment may be used to fill future Senior Recreation Leader vacancies in any of the following areas: Youth Sports Programs, After School and Day Camps, Early Childhood Development Program, City-wide special events, Adult Sports Programs, and/or Community Center Operations.
DEFINITION: To perform a variety of duties and assists in the delivery of one or more of the following: Youth Sports Program, After School and Day Camps Programs, Early Childhood Development Program, City-wide special events, Adult Sports Program, Senior Programs, and/or Community Center Operations (programs, facility rentals, and customer service).
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: This position requires a specific knowledge of and interest in sports, arts and crafts, education, leisure activities for youth and/or adults, and/or community center and facility maintenance and operations.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED: Receives general supervision from the Recreation Manager, Recreation Supervisor, Assistant Recreation Coordinator or other staff as assigned.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Officiate youth sports games, including basketball and football;
- Set-up and take down tables, chairs, gymnastics equipment, and other equipment and materials;
- Plan, evaluate, and schedule programs;
- Assist customers at the front desk and on the telephone with questions or concerns regarding recreation programs and services and facility rentals; register customers for classes and facility rentals using Department registration and facility software RecWare Safari; resolve enrollment and facility rental issues;
- Monitor facility use; troubleshoot participant and facility users concerns; ensure facility set-ups are safe, properly set-up and meet the facility users needs;
- Provide lead direction to Recreation Leaders and other part-time staff; assign tasks and duties and monitor performance; provide input on performance evaluations; enforce all City policies and procedures;
- Maintain a safe program environment for participants, facility users and staff;
- Care and maintain all equipment issued; inform supervisor when there are hazards or when equipment needs replacing;
- Prepare facilities, including sports fields, youth care centers, and community centers, for programs and services; clean up facility at conclusion of event, rental or program;
- Communicate with parents and school site staff regarding programs;
- Attend all applicable City of Newport Beach Recreation Division trainings and orientation; and
- Perform related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Basic objectives, methods, and techniques of community recreation programs;
Youth sports, including flag football, basketball, and track and field;
Basic community center maintenance and facility set-up;
Arts and crafts and/or indoor and outdoor games;
Child development; and
Safe work practices.
Plan and organize recreation programs for children and/or adults;
Conduct a football, basketball practice, or track and field practice;
Assist in the supervision of Recreation Leaders;
Create a team atmosphere;
Exhibit initiative, creativity, and responsibility;
Handle stressful or sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy;
Communicate, clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
Appear for work on time;
Follow directions from a supervisor;
Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures;
Accept constructive criticism; and
Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, specifically participants, parents, co-workers, and school site staff.
Experience & Training and License/Certificate:
A combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities may be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience: Two years work experience in recreation, childcare, facilities set-up and operations, or related field.
Training: Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade.
License/Certificate: Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license. Red Cross CPR and First Aid certificates within six (6) months of hire.
Additional Requirement : Prior to employment, the prospective candidate must successfully complete a thorough background review, including being fingerprinted by Newport Beach Police Department.
Disaster Service Worker : In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, City of Newport Beach Employees, in the event of a disaster, are considered disaster service workers and may be asked to respond accordingly.
City of Newport Beach, CA - 2 years ago