Care is currently seeking a Senior Research Lead. The Senior Research Lead (SRL) reports to the Positioning & Influencing Director of the Food & Livelihoods Justice team, and works closely with the KM & Innovations Director. She/he will be prime responsible and accountable for forging and maintaining partnerships with international reputable organizations such as Cornell, and other Research agencies with whom FLJ needs to establish working relationships with. The SRL, in coordination with the FLJ team, plays the key role in being the primary technical interface with these research partners in terms of technical focus and content, determining key deliverables, holding these partnerships accountable to time bound outputs, and any other issues such partnerships may need to deal with. The SRL will also be the lead manager of developing core partnerships with CARE CO FNS programs around the world to identify on-going programs to populate the Innovations and Learning space of FLJ. Accordingly the SRL provides prime support for promoting, generating, harvesting, and cross-fertilizing knowledge and evidence of best practices and innovation around Food and Nutrition security. This work emphasizes Sustainable and Just Food Systems, with particular attention to smallholder agriculture systems.
The SRL will work closely with the CARE USA Advocacy team to package knowledge, as well as keep taking into account latest trends and landscape around Food and Nutrition security, to develop advocacy material which can be used by the Advocacy team on specific issues for lobbying and other advocacy efforts.
Another important function of this position is resource mobilization. Working with the broader FLJ team, s/he will contribute to effective knowledge products in the form of tools, approaches, and impact as evidenced from field operations. These will be critical fund raising support elements to prove to donors the effectiveness of what CARE brings, and giving strength to our resource generation effort.
The position is based in Atlanta, with approximately 30% travel time.
- The Senior Research Lead will work with FLJ directors to define the Team’s policy analysis and research strategy, and develop annual work plans.
- The SRL will lead the Action Research work of FLJ. This will include working with COs to identify projects to populate the Innovations & Learning space, agree with COs on what the deliverables will be, and manage the partnership to ensure deliverables are timely produced and met.
- The Senior Research Lead will work closely with CARE USA Advocacy team to define policy analysis and research strategy and develop annual work plans.
- The Senior Research Lead will work with the rest of the FLJ team to mobilize additional resources which will extend CARE’s global footprint and impact on food and nutrition security, while contributing to the cost recovery of the FLJ team.
- The Senior Research Lead supports key relationships that are central to research and analysis on Sustainable and Just Food Systems, especially regarding smallholder agriculture systems.
- Other duties as Required
- Graduate degree in a relevant field, including food and nutrition security, social sciences, international relations, international development, public policy
- 7 years experience in food and nutrition security
- Demonstrable experience in the design and implementation of advocacy strategies to influence policy at US, national or multi-lateral level
- Demonstrable experience in food and nutrition research, including quantitative and qualitative processes
- Experience with policy analysis, research and writing related to issues of global development
- Strong skills in food and nutrition security, policy analysis and formulation of advocacy strategies.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, particularly to convey information effectively and to write persuasively for a variety of audiences, including policymakers and donors.
- Excellent data organizational skills including analysis and synthesis; impact analysis and research skills;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate well with others and develop and maintain positive working relationships