CARE is seeking an experienced Program Director (PD) to be a member of the Nutrition Plus team within the Health Equity Unit. S/he will lead the planning and implementation of “Nutrition at the Center,” a privately funded, multi-country integrated nutrition program with two key objectives: 1) to improve infant and child nutritional outcomes, particularly for the most vulnerable children and families; and 2) to increase CARE’s capacity, effectiveness, and influence in global nutrition. The PD plays an integral role in strengthening CARE’s nutrition programming and integrating infant and young child and maternal nutrition with food security, water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), maternal health, and women’s empowerment.
The PD will provide leadership, and technical and managerial expertise contributing to the success of Nutrition at the Center and advancing global knowledge and programming in nutrition. S/he will lead and provide oversight to all program activities and coordinate with all relevant internal and external stakeholders. S/he will ensure that all program interventions are of high quality and lead to measurable impact, and align with CARE USA and CARE International’s broader goals to empower women and reduce poverty.
The ideal candidate will bring technical expertise in maternal and child nutrition and/or in food security to complement expertise of existing program staff members. The PD will lead the CARE US Nutrition at the Center program team in working closely with collaborating Country Offices in designing, supporting quality implementation, monitoring, evaluating and reporting program results. The PD will facilitate the integration of nutrition with other CARE sectors, specifically for the Nutrition at the Center program as well as more broadly under the CARE International Food and Nutrition Security strategy. S/he will support the development of technical and programmatic skills for team members at CARE US and Country Offices and work closely with other Nutrition Plus team members to ensure that best practices and up-to-date technical strategies and tools are used throughout CARE’s nutrition and food security programming. In addition to integrating technical/sectoral strategies, the PD will, as appropriate, lead the team in incorporating into Nutrition at the Center “cross-cutting” strategies such as data-driven management, quality improvement, and participatory governance contributing to improved nutritional outcomes and sustained impact. S/he also will support CARE’s global advocacy in nutrition and the use of evidence from Nutrition at the Center to influence practices of stakeholders globally. Finally, the Director will lead and oversee development and implementation of the annual work plan, manage the program budget, identify external technical support needs, guide the program team in carrying out work plan activities, and ensure narrative and financial reports are submitted according to donor requirements.
- Provide overall leadership and management for Nutrition at the Center, an integrated nutrition program.
- Technical support to country offices
- Build strategic partnerships
- Secure additional funding
- PhD in nutrition or in related field or MD with additional training/experience in nutrition and food security or other relevant specialization
- At least 7-years experience in global nutrition programming
- Experience integrating nutrition and food security or WASH programming highly desirable
- Experience working with non-profit organizations
- Experience in program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrated technical leadership
- Experience with research and analytical skills
- Experience working overseas
- Experience working with donors, writing or reviewing reports and ensuring adherence to donor agreements
- Technical expertise in nutrition; additional experience in food security highly desirable
- Support for nutrition programming or provision of nutrition technical assistance in low and middle-income countries
- Program design, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Excellent verbal and written English skills, particularly communication skills for diverse audiences
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and operationalize program strategies
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team and oversee complex programs
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships with government, donors, community leaders and other development partners
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet software, and data processing
- Ability to prepare presentations and write articles for publication
- Previous overseas post experience
- Foreign language skills a plus
- Skills in data analysis