Note for Staffing Agencies:
In general, LYNX does not utilize external recruiting sources such as staffing or placement agencies to fill its open, posted positions. The utilization of agencies is on an "as needed" basis as determined by LYNX management. As such, solicitation calls from staffing and placement agencies may go unanswered if calls are received relating to LYNX posted positions.
To become a vendor with LYNX, please return to LYNX's web site and click on the Doing Business Link then scroll down to Procurement to find out about the vendor application process: www.golynx.com .
Reports To: Manager of Service Planning
Description of Work
This position is responsible for assisting the Manager of Service Design in reviewing the performance of LYNX transit services and improving the design of such services to improve efficiency. The individual in this position may be required to conduct field tests with revenue equipment as well as analyze electronic data from sources such as automatic passenger counter (APC) and automatic vehicle location (AVL) systems to calculate accurate running times. This position is also responsible for the development and administration of the fixed-route bus operator run cut and bid and revenue vehicle assignments. This position works in close cooperation with the Transportation, Maintenance, Marketing, Customer Service, and Human Resources divisions/departments to develop transit services and produce public schedules.
Position Focus: Service Design:
This position focuses on the development of transit and mobility services.
Position Focus: Scheduling:
This position focuses on the development of fixed-route passenger schedules and bus operator run cuts.
Our vision is to be recognized as a world-class leader for providing and coordinating a full array of mobility and community services. LYNX mission is to link our community by providing quality mobility options with innovation, integrity and teamwork.
LYNX Ambassadors (our employees) are committed to the LYNX Service Philosophy: “We enhance people’s lives everyday through passion, pride and performance.”
In order to achieve our organizational goals in support of our mission, LYNX Ambassadors are held accountable for service excellence by continuously practicing and demonstrating the following service standards:
Safety – Safety is everyone’s business and our first priority here at LYNX.
Courtesy – We present ourselves in a professional manner and treat everyone with the utmost respect.
Efficiency – We take pride in knowing our jobs and doing things right the first time.
Cleanliness – We take pride in our personal appearance and work environment .
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific Duties for Service Design:
- Assists in the development, review and printing of all fixed-route informational aids.
- Develops and maintains service reports and completes the annual National Transit Database (NTD) reports.
- Responds to service requests and complaints from all sources.
- Completes annual NTD reports based on ridership trip sampling and service indicators by service bid, and ensures proper data collection procedures are followed.
- Coordinates with all departments providing service planning and scheduling information and reviews data.
- Assists in the development of regional and jurisdictional service plans and cost proposals.
- Assists in the drafting of the annual Transportation Development Plan (TDP) and reviews the Developments of Regional Impacts (DRI).
- Analyzes route and service performance to determine areas where transit service can be improved in terms of efficiency, productivity, and effectiveness.
- Prepares ridership, on-time performance, productivity, and other route and service measurement reports to the CEO, Board of Directors, and others as requested.
- Uses scheduling software to cut bus runs; evaluates data and makes manual adjustments to schedules as necessary.
- Uses automatic passenger counters (APCs), automatic vehicle location (AVL), and other Advanced Public Transportation Systems (APTS) to measure passenger traffic and schedule adherence.
- Develops specific route and scheduling assignments. Accurately calculates scheduled run times for specific existing and proposed new services.
- Participates in special services development.
- Updates bus operator/block schedules, maintains route-operating instructions, and copies and maintains block schedule materials for bus operator bids.
- Assists in planning number of stops, length of route and runs per shift for route according to union/management procedures and cost per mile/hour.
- Provides information and assistance to the customer service division, marketing department, dispatchers, radio operators, street supervisors, and drivers on route and service changes as they occur at quarterly run picks. Assists with the run-pick process.
- Provides the marketing staff with route, service, and schedule changes for publication.
- Reviews draft public schedules for errors to final publication.
- Meets with bus operators and customer service representatives to obtain data necessary to perform route, service, and schedule analysis.
- Prepares written evaluations of proposed route, service, and schedule changes and makes field investigations.
- Briefs members of the public and representatives of community organizations on pending and evaluations of route and service changes as part of the outreach team.
- Communicates with coworkers, management, and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Conforms with and abides by all regulations, policies, work procedures, instructions, safety rules and wearing/using all appropriate safety equipment.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Specific Duties for Scheduling:
- D evelops and maintains a bus line filing system and associated data.
- Operates LYNX revenue vehicles to test new routes and services to accurately calculate scheduled run times.
- Manages and directs the Service Efficiency Review Committee.
- Assists in the management of the Running Time Committee.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Creates the fixed-route bus operator run cut to be as cost efficient as possible, maximizing the use of existing resources.
- Manages and directs the Running Time Committee.
- Assists in the management of the Service Efficiency Review Committee.
- Ensures that LYNX fully utilizes its investments in fixed-route scheduling and run- cutting software.
Service Planner - Service Design:
- Ability to use a personal computer with knowledge of spreadsheet, presentation, and word processing software. Familiarity with database applications desired.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data regarding ridership, traffic surveys, maps, etc.
- Ability to demonstrate a thorough understanding and practice of excellent customer communication skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include some weekends and evenings.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff, community leaders, government representatives, customers, coworkers and those doing business with LYNX.
- Must have a valid Florida Driver's License. A Commercial Driver’s License with a passenger endorsement and airbrakes is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of run-cutting techniques including knowledge of computerized run-cutting methods.
- Thorough knowledge of the street and highway network in Central Florida including Orange, Osceola, and Seminole counties.
Must have a valid Florida commercial driver’s license with a passenger endorsement and airbrakes.
Extended periods sitting at a table, desk or workstation with use of a computer. Normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking and color perception. Work involves periodic bending, stooping, reaching, standing, walking and driving. Requires dexterity in operating office machines and equipment. Periodic fieldwork in varying environments.
Minimum Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Planning, Business, Statistics, Transportation or a related field and two (2) years of transit scheduling experience. Experience with run-cutting software preferred. Experience with union contract issues helpful. An equivalent combination of transit and/or scheduling experience, education and training that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and ability to effectively perform the functions of this position may be considered.
Service Planner – Service Design:
Must have a minimum of three (3) years of safe driving experience.
Hiring Salary Range: $18.05 - $21.66 per hour
Note: (Only complete applications will be considered)
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. The principal duties, responsibilities enumerated are all essential job functions.