The Switch Technician is responsible for the advanced installation, operation, and maintenance of switching, data communications, and peripheral equipment associated with the Meridian SL-100 PBX at customer site. Other duties include coordinating installation, testing, and troubleshooting of transmission facilities (OC48, T3, T1, and DSO); troubleshooting, upgrading, and administering multiple vendor systems; maintaining system applications; ensuring quality customer service ; and providing support to a varied user community; updating daily logs with site specific information; and composing clear and concise reports for customer documentation. The Switch Technician is expected to perform his/her duties with minimum supervision, and participate in cross-functional projects as scheduled.
Experience/Qualifications: This job requires a level of knowledge typically gained through a combination of a college degree (BS Technical/Engineering) and/or relevant work experience to include:
Job/Site Specific Requirements:
- Minimum Associates degree, technical degree, relevant military experience, equivalent special electronics training, or equivalent work experience is required
- Minimum 4 years experience plus electronics training in one or more of the following fields: telecommunications Nortel Meridian SL-100 switching systems. Experience in LAN/WAN operations and IP connectivity is a plus in particular knowledge of the CS2100 or MG9000.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot issues within the following Nortel Product Line: Nortel Meridian SL-100 platform, Communications Server 1000 series, Call Pilot, Symposium Call Center Server, Meridian Mail.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the following technologies and/or platforms: voice switch infrastructure experience including Nortel M1; digital communications including: DS1, DS3, Fiber, ISDN; operating systems and applications including: Windows, MS Office; computer support experience including: PC hardware and configurations, troubleshooting; power experience including, Lorain , DC distribution systems, troubleshooting; and telecom experience including: T1 and DACS. Familiarity with Federal customers is a plus
- Intermediate training in at least 3 of the following areas: data communications, digital communications, operating systems and applications, telecommunications, computer support, project management, and/or power.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer systems, stored program control is required
- Demonstrated knowledge of LAN/WAN protocols is a plus
- General knowledge in the use of electronic test equipment is required
- Experience and knowledge of transmission facilities (OC48, T3, T1, and DSO) is required
- Strong programming and computer skills with emphasis on applications are required
- Ability to successfully handle multiple priorities simultaneously is required
- Ability to travel and work extremely flexible hours and support on-call duties and shift work is required
- A valid drivers license is required
- The ability to obtain and hold secret clearance is required
Assist NCTAMSEURCENT and NCTS Sigonella in matters that relate directly or indirectly to the achievement of contracted levels of system performance on the Nortel SL-100 voice switching system.
Survey, analyze, evaluate, and provide technical advice/trouble resolution pertaining to the performance and functionality of the DISN-E switch network as related to Sigonella , Italy .
Assist the principal NCTAMS EURCENT SMMC network manager/system administrator with the following:
Rapid detection and resolution of DISN-E switching system failures/component failures/errors.
DISN-E telephone network/system operation.
Routine network software and hardware installation and replacement.
Network data base backup and restore.
Audit trail and ID/password administration.
Perform configuration management.
- Performance of on-site maintenance including, but not limited to, updating user profiles and power-off procedures to protect the system during emergency situations.
- Perform adds/moves/changes to customer base as requested
Perform emergency replacement of failed or upgraded DISN-E network components.
Provide consultation and guidance to Government system operators pertaining to system generation, troubleshooting, and general system operation.
Assist NCTAMS EURCENT in establishing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for specific O&M routines.
Assist the NCTAMS EURCENT POC for all warranty related actions. (Includes providing instruction and assistance in timely preparation of defective components for shipment to the contractor’s plant for repair, replacement, or exchange)
Certification: Nortel SL-100 or DMS-100 at a level to include commissioning and or a high level of maintenance and installation skills.
Job site Location: This assignment is located at NAS Sigonella, Italy
Position Type: Permanent.
MTS is an organization that redefines the spirit of camaraderie and teamwork. Call us to learn more about these opportunities.
MTS is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws.