Under general direction, follows established procedures to configure and maintain hardware, operating software, and business applications; uses manual and automated methods to control information processing, identifies technical faults, and attempts initial problem resolution; participates in team problem solving and root cause analysis; composes and updates operational documentation such as checklists, procedure charts, and status reports; understands and complies with record keeping requirements, protocols, and standards; demonstrates general knowledge and proficiency with computing and/or telecommunications technologies; and recommends continuous improvement activities.
In this position, the Cable Locate and Install Technician maintains, expands and provides utility spotting for the Sandia/NM cable plant, and provides OSP support to DOE/NNSA. Plan, research and document cable pull activities (installations/removals) prior to commencing a cable pull. Perform cable pulls in accordance with industry standard processes and procedures.
Perform cable terminations. Conduct cable research to determine the cable path.
Electronically document (including working papers, drafts, formal documentation, research, and field notes) communication cable plant changes. Assist Telecommunication Infrastructure Design Services staff with OSP field research. Coordinate communication utility spotting activities with other utility spotting activities on the site. Perform communication utility spotting activities in accordance with established processes and procedures. Formally document spotting activities. Utility spotting resource assessments/removals must be coordinated with the Sandia SDR or infrastructure Service Area Project Lead. Troubleshoot problems related to the OSP. Perform cable repairs (includes cable replacement). Perform inspections of any maintenance hole, hand hold, pedestals or any copper/fiber splice points and electronically document the inspections. Perform any maintenance on the maintenance holes and hand hold systems and document work performed (including issues) in request workflow log prior to closing or transitioning work to another team.
· Fostering of excellent relations with the Customer and the team on behalf of MTS.
· Operational knowledge of inter & intra building telecommunications cable standards
· Operational knowledge of OSP structured pathways
· Basic knowledge of data center layout and design
· Basic experience interpreting NEC (National Electric Code)
· Basic experience interpreting NFPC (National Fire Protection Code)
· Basic experience with the construction management process
· Extensive experience drafting telecommunication infrastructure designs
· Extensive experience reading cut-sheets (equipment and material specification sheets)Course
· Must have basic computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite experience
· Must have strong understanding of the cooper and fiber cabling systems, both buried and aerial
· Operational knowledge of the following tools/test equipment:
o 3M Dynatel Advanced Pipe/Cable Locator 2220M
o ARNCO 2005 TM3050 Reel Trailer
o ARNCO 2004 Tension Master 2000 Fiber Tugger
o Butler 1995 HWSC-10 Reel Trailer
o EXFO FOT-910 Fiber Optic Tester
o Fluke CABLEIQ
o Fluke DSP-4000-DSP4000SR
o Fluke FT600 FiberInspector
o Fluke OPTIFIBER
o FIBO Interferometer
o Fujikura ARC Fusion Splicer FSM 60S
o Fujikura ARC-50S Fusion Splicer
o Fujikura Fusion Splicer FSM-30R
o LFD-300/TG-300 FiberFinder
o Norland CC6000 Interferometer
o Noyes M100 OTDR
o Noyes M600 OTDR
o Noyes Turbotest 400 Multimode tester
o Noyes T50B-4T SM Fiber Tester
o Team Fenex 2003 Fost Fiber Trailer
o Throwmaster 102A Cable Test Set
· Must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q Clearance.
· Strong computer skills with emphasis on applications are required.
· Ability to successfully handle multiple priorities simultaneously is required.
· Must be a US citizen with a valid passport
· Ability to work extremely flexible hours and support on-call duties and shift work may be required.
· A valid driver’s license is required.
Mutual Telecom Services Inc. (MTS) - 22 months ago