Percent Time: |
Type of Position
Specified Term: A staff member may be appointed to term status for a specific term not to exceed three years in order to accomplish a specific purpose or when the duration of funding is limited or unknown.
Position Specific Summary
Assist with food production needs of the University Club to ensure superior food production. Assist Chef with innovative menu development, forecasting, purchasing, and proper training of kitchen personnel, execution, and follow-up. Assist with monitoring the work of student staff in food production for all catered events and daily restaurant activities and dishwashing staff. Work with a positive attitude and as a team member and demonstrate respect for co-workers and student staff at all times.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES AND SPECIFIC JOB TASKS
• Assist Chef in proper food production for high-end catering functions and daily restaurant activities.
• Assist in planning, organizing, and executing meals for all catered events and membership only dining in the restaurant.
• Welcomes and understands dietary restrictions and makes adjustments as needed.
• Work with standardized recipes for quality assurance. Assures quality in presentation and taste in all food preparations.
• Test new standardized recipes and make recommendations to Chef.
• Assist in training other kitchen staff on proper food production and presentation of all standardized recipe dishes.
• Assist with menu planning for restaurant and catered events.
• Continuously research, train, and update techniques, skills and recipes through attending conferences, workshops and reading magazines and journals.
• Forecasts food production quantities and the acquisition of needed products and supplies to ensure proper execution. Conduct needed follow-up.
• Recommends new equipment and kitchen accessories and procedures for catering and dining room.
• Assist in the purchasing of all food and dry goods to ensure ordering, receiving and distribution of product is fulfilled for both catering and dining room.
• Assist with monthly inventory process and provides accurate and timely reports to assist with food cost analysis.
• Follows guidelines for and make recommendations for changes to the waste tracking system and employee meal program.
Safety and Sanitation
• Ensures safe and sanitary working conditions and safe food handling procedures.
• Understands and follows Mandatory Safety Data Sheets. Assist in updating as needed.
• Maintains Serve-Safe Certificate.
• Assist with selecting, training, and supervising production and staff to include scheduling, performance management and development of staff.
• Directly supervise, schedule, and train the salad production staff or stewarding staff.
• Assists in leading a kitchen team with support, guidance, positive attitude and good communication skills.
Collaboration and Embracing Diversity (Extensive Experience)
• Shares appropriate information/feedback openly, professionally and respectfully.
• Models open, respectful, accepting, and supportive behaviors with team members.
• Maintains productive work relationships while considering multiple perspectives and using effective conflict resolution practices.
• Uses sensitivity in communicating with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
Positive Impact/Achieving Results (Extensive Experience)
• Adjusts to and develops self to prepare for new or changing assignments, processes, people, and priorities as organizational needs dictate.
• Sets clear expectations for self and team to achieve work objectives and overcome obstacles.
• Strives for excellence in performance by upholding established ethical standards and upholding university values
• Provides frequent updates on operations and financial performance to leadership.
Service Excellence/Customer Focus (Extensive Experience)
• Enhances service by seeking ways to add value to customer interactions/services.
• Demonstrates sincere concern and takes responsibility when a customer complains, even if the cause of the problem lies elsewhere.
• Listens to feedback without defensiveness and uses it to enhance communication effectiveness.
• Communicates in alternative ways to accommodate different listeners.
Food Preparation (Extensive Experience)
• Cooks food using proper temperature readings and checks for doneness using thermometer.
• Instructs and demonstrates proper food handling processes to junior food preparation staff.
• Teaches others how to calculate food costs.
• Inventories food and grocery items against list of menu planning needs.
• Participates in developing food preparation guidelines in accordance to regulatory agencies.
• Advises kitchen preparation staff regarding inspection procedures.
Inventory Management (Working Knowledge)
• Advises kitchen preparation staff regarding inspection procedures.
• Works with inventory management for a specific product group or location.
• Assists with purchase orders, receiving, ticketing, and distribution of inventory items.
• Sends goods from own inventory to other locations or back to suppliers; resolves discrepancies.
• Describes processes and controls for releasing inventory and returns.
• Produces and uses all basic inventory management reports and measurements.
Performance Management (Working Experience)
• Makes sure performance goals, checkpoints, and feedback focus on behaviors.
• Uses formal and informal rewards and recognition programs for employees.
• Identifies opportunities to enhance performance, e.g., practice assignments, training, shadowing.
• Provides documented input to formal performance review conducted by manager.
• Observes individual performance and provides fair and objective feedback.
Kitchen Management (Extensive Experience)
• Identifies the critical temperature ranges for safe food storage.
• Demonstrates proper sanitation and safety procedures in kitchen area.
• Participates in defining best practice for station rotation.
• Conducts regular inspection of sinks and all food preparation surfaces.
• Operates all machinery and equipment following proper safety procedures.
• Demonstrates proper use and care of tools and utensils.
Menu Planning (Working Experience)
• Demonstrates proper use and care of tools and utensils. Receives food and grocery orders following proper storage techniques.
• Creates routine menus for a seven day period for one age group.
• Explains menu selections using nutritional guidelines.
• Knows how to categorize menu according to core food groups.
• Explains basic concepts of menu planning and rotation.
• Basic concepts of menu planning and rotation.
Knowledge of a Specific Procurement System (Working Experience)
• Uses the system to process routine purchase orders and payments.
• Maintains inspection records, photographs, and important documentation of procurement system.
• Uses software to monitor the status and shipment of orders.
• Communicates with professionals to understand various procedures for a specific procurement system within the organization.
• Troubleshoots common applications or data problems for a specific procurement system.
Effective Communications (Working Experience)
• Gives continuing feedback, recognizes achievement, and recommends improvement.
• Adjusts and communicates performance objectives as necessary for team objectives.
• Defines and agrees upon performance goals and objectives with associates.
• Identifies performance problem areas early on and defines specific improvement activities.
• Participates in the salary planning and administration process. Publicly shares accolades and recognizes and rewards top performers.
• Assists in the development, implementation and supervision of intern programs within the Food Service.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS:
The qualifications for this job posting are described as competencies or the behaviors needed to be successful in perfoming the duties of the position at a defined proficiency level/standard. The proficiency level required for each is included. A description of the minimum proficiency level expected for the universal and technical competencies for this job classification may be found at this link: http://www.uiowa.edu/hr/classcomp/prof/competencies.html#myjob .
Please assure that your application and/or cover letter illustrates the work experience, knowledge, skills and abilities you have that meet each of the required qualifications.
Bachelor’s degree in Culinary Arts, Hotel or Restaurant Management or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Some (6mon-1yr) experience in food service as a Sous Chef within a high-end culinary operation that includes ordering, menu planning, production, and inventory & personnel supervision.
Some (6mon-1yr) experience with inventory control including ordering, receiving, waste management, and recipe creation.
Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Demonstrated ability to model open, respectful, accepting, and supportive behaviors with team members.
Serve-Safe Certified or ability to obtain certification within three months of hire date.
Some (6mon-1yr) administrative supervisory experience.
Some (6mon-1yr) experience with inventory management systems, event reservation systems, and Microsoft Office Suite.
Demonstrated creative experience in menu planning and design.
Ability to lead and teach preparatory skills.
Demonstrated experience working with a diverse, part-time staff.
Knowledge of University policies, procedures, and regulations.
The University of Iowa - 24 months ago