Participate in system and process design for enhancing the existing systems and developing new functionality or systems.
• Responsible for the conversion of business and logical requirements into detailed technical specifications which include the testing requirements for verification of implementation.
• Develop new SQL scripts and procedures and maintain existing scripts and procedures for system functionality.
• Understand the system data model and system interactions to be able to develop stored procedures and data-extractions to drive processes and reports.
• Create ad hoc queries for data mining and data analysis.
• Serve in a technical support role to troubleshoot problems with production systems and analyze data abnormalities.
• Participate in the production support on-call rotation within the IT department.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Backup to the Sybase/Oracle DBA as needed. This will involve handling daily/weekly tasks to support the databases including
o Database startup and shutdown
o Database backup and recovery
o Loading test environments
o Reading logs and reporting unusual conditions or errors.
• Special or as needed duties assigned by Manager.
The successful candidate must be self-motivated and be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required. Project work will include both new development and maintenance/enhancement to existing software. Job responsibilities will involve technical research, design, and coding. Candidates must be capable of developing code to meet established formal specifications and acceptance criteria as well as developing original technical specifications to meet business requirements.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Expertise in SQL Programming and Development.
• Expertise in one of the following: Sybase SQL Server, Microsoft SQL Server, or Oracle.
• Strong analytical skills needed to determine issues in existing systems.
• The ability to design and test SQL scripts and procedures.
• The ability to juggle multiple responsibilities and work effectively in fast paced environment.
• Previous Warehouse Management System experience is a plus.
• Linux knowledge is a plus
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience
• Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed
• Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through
• Drives change and innovation by improving work product or process, and challenges established norms where appropriate
• Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization; takes the lead in inspiring others to work together for mutual benefit
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail
• Operates ethically: admits mistakes, treats others with respect, trust, and dignity, demonstrates honest and ethical behavior, and follows through on commitments and agreements
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Ideal candidates will have at least a Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience, and 5+ years of relevant professional experience in systems and SQL development. Candidates must possess a good working knowledge of the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of database driven systems.
Hachette Book Group goes by the book. The division of Hachette Livre is home to book publisher Little, Brown and hardcover, mass market,...